Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My St. Bernards eye has a clear film in the corner. Where

My St. Bernard's eye has a clear film in the corner. Where the black is usually in the corners is red with the clear film. Is this an infection?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Gracie.

Yes, it is very suggestive of either an active infection, or that a trauma may have occurred, like bushes scratching the eyes or having walked into something.

Definitely, with the appearance of the eyes, I would suggest a vet visit. They will likely recommend a very simple eye stain test just to ensure there is no corneal ulcer (injury on the surface of the cornea) and start some ophthalmic medication.

Eye Stain Test for Ulcers

I get a bit more protective with the eyes, and generally not recommend a wait and see approach. Corneal injuries can scar or cause other complications that can be permanent, so I always like to treat sooner than later.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Jessica,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gracie. How is everything going?