Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

HI- My 2 dogs just ate 60 tablets of my Viviscal vitamins which

HI- My 2 dogs just ate 60 tablets of my Viviscal vitamins which contain Iron. I caught it right after it happened and gave them both Peroxide and they both vomited some of the pills but I wouldnt think all of them. My dogs are 85lbs and 50 lbs and the ingredients are Vitamin C 59mg, Niacin 12mg, Biotin 120 mg, Iron 10mg, Zinc 11mg. Are they in danger?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for them.

If you induced vomiting, especially if it was within the first 30 minutes of ingestion, you really should have been able to get quite a bit out. We really don't know who ate what, but if you can account for at least half of the tablets, I think you are in good shape!

I would still advise monitor for any other signs of illness including:
- bad diarrhea
- loss of appetite tomorrow
- heavy panting to suggest nausea
- hypersalivating
- weakness
- tremors

Then, I would absolutely advise getting into any vet for supportive care and evaluation.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

Sorry to hear what happened. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.