Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

our 1 year old white boxer is shaking her head like she has

our 1 year old white boxer is shaking her head like she has parcansens, looking all around and in the air and bumping into things. this has happened twice in the last couple of days. she has always been full of energy and healthy but when this happens she acts like something has scared her, any ideas? I'll call my vet in the morning, thanks

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Pearl. From your description it could be a couple things. One is vestibular episode which is a disturbance in the balance system of the inner ear which can be caused by infection or sometimes small strokes. But she is awfully young for a stroke. Also could be seizures. At her age they are most likely caused by epilepsy and are just focal seizures that cause this behavior. This is the most likely cause especially with the period of time afterwords that she is acting scared. This is the post ictal (post seizure) period where they are recovering and can be scared and confused. If these keep occurring or become more frequent she may require anti seizures medications and there are a lot of them out there now a days. Newer ones that work great and have minimal side effects. So have her seen, your vet will examine her and do a neuro exam and probable blood work to make sure nothing else is going on inside of her. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help you. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Just monitor her closely tonight and call your vet first thing in the morning.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pearl. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead