Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

I have a female XXXXX XXXXX, 6-7 y/o. We know she has heart

I have a female XXXXX XXXXX, 6-7 y/o. We know she has heart worms, but hasn't really shown any signs of them. She was playing in the yard about 2 hrs ago, she ate and then came inside and laid on couch for approximately 30-45 minutes. Then she got up, jumped in the floor and stumbled over onto her side. She is wheezing, eyes are droopy...tongue and gums are good color. We have not noticed her wheezing like this before. She is not on any meds, eats Science Diet small bite adult dog food. Could all this be due to heart worms or could she have a cold? Is there some other sign or symptom for us to look for to come to a better conclusion?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

No, that does not sound like a cold at all.

The heart worms do cause heart failure over time.

There is a good chance that the heart worms are affecting her heart now.

When the heart does not pump blood out as it should, fluid builds up in the lungs.

The fluid in the lungs makes it difficult to breathe.

I would get her to a vet as soon as possible.

I would take her to the emergency clinic tonight if the wheezing continues.

If she stops wheezing in the next few minutes, and seems to be breathing normally, and her gum color remains normal you can wait until morning to take her to the vet.

She definitely needs chest x-ray to see is she has heart and lung disease.

I have put quite a few dogs to sleep due to heart failure from heart worm disease.

It is best to get her diagnosed, and treated, as soon as possible.

If possible, make a video of her wheezing so you can show the vet.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but I hope it helps you determine what to do.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.