Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog had a abscess 3 weeks ago which is infection free now.

My dog had a abscess 3 weeks ago which is infection free now. It has left a deep wound with a fisher the size of a pea through his ear. The vet now wants to staple it..... isn't that contraindicated with a wound that has been open for so long?

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

I completely understand what you are referring to

Dr. Altman :

Ideally would be to anesthetize Rasta and debulk the dead/ dying/ inflamed skin then suture it back together

Dr. Altman :

I typically do not use staples in the ear due to the sensitive tissue but every vet has preferences on how they treat surgically

Dr. Altman :

If the ear is healing well on its own then I am not sure I would interfere but if it continues to stay open and drain/ not heal then surgery might need to be considered

Customer:

I am an RN and with people if a wound dehis's we never reclose.. It then needs to heal from the inside out. It is a lg wound and will take a long time to heal this way but I am afraid that it will get reinfected if it heals outward before the inside catches up?

Dr. Altman :

I agree, if it is not debulked before suturing/ stapling then likely it will simply dehisce again

Dr. Altman :

In a 12 year old dog that has a 3 week ongoing infection I would let it heal by second intention

Customer:

He had injured his ear and needed surgery so it would stop filling with sero sang flui( drining wasn't sucessful). I thought they would do the quilting but they used this plastic appliance . They then sutured his ear up to the top of his head. The plastic rivit things rubbed a wound. So if they debulk first it should in your opinion it will wourk with the staples? I just read your response..... any idea how letting it heal this way would take?

Customer:

sorry about my typing... trying to hurry

Dr. Altman :

That's ok, no worries with spelling!

Dr. Altman :

I used the plastic a few times and had one do a similar lesion so I stopped using it after that

Dr. Altman :

I would prefer suturing the ear versus staples

Dr. Altman :

Since the ears rotate/ move regularly they can rotate in the ear and be upside down which can be quite painful to remove

Dr. Altman :

The ear is so sensitive!

Customer:

ok sounds good...... Thank you so much

Dr. Altman :

How long would it take...that is difficult

Dr. Altman :

It has already been three weeks so I would go on the lengthy side and say perhaps another 3 weeks

Dr. Altman :

Do you know if they have laser therapy?

Dr. Altman :

This can stimulate healing

Customer:

Right now I want them to fix their error.... They keep charging me for the additional tx due to this. I can only imagine what they would charge for laser.

Dr. Altman :

Laser therapy is not pricey

Dr. Altman :

It can range from $30-50/ session

Customer:

I will look into it then....... thank you!

Dr. Altman :

And one of their technicians can do it, since this is due to their errors, I would definitely discuss doing this at no charge

Dr. Altman :

Since it takes about 5 minutes to perform by support staff

Dr. Altman :

It is worth a try!

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions today?

Customer:

no thank you so much. You have been very helpful.

Dr. Altman :

Great! I truly wish you and Rasta luck in getting him to heal...

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome!