Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog had his glands expressed. He is acting funny. He

My dog had his anal glands expressed. He is acting funny. He sat down a lot during his evening walk. Can I put preparation h on his tush

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry Goliath is having such discomfort

Dr. Altman :

It is common after expression the rectum/ anal glands are a little irritated

Dr. Altman :

You can try a small amount of preparation H or if you have a 1% cortisone cream but please watch him after application and wipe off after ten minutes to ensure he is not ingesting either product after application. If you have baby wipes these are the gentlest to wipe the rear to minimize further irritation

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if this makes sense

Dr. Altman :

This can be repeated every 6-8 hours until irritation resolves and you can also use 1 mg/ pound benadryl as well to help with the itch

Dr. Altman :

I am going to change formats in a few moments if I have not seen you enter live chat which can be difficult for some to correspond in

Customer: A little preparation h is ok
Dr. Altman :

Yes

Customer: Ok thank u.
Dr. Altman :

But I do advise wiping it off after 10 minutes if he can reach his rear to lick it off

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions today?

Customer: Yes I will. Do I just put it on the anus outside
Dr. Altman :

Yes

Dr. Altman :

Then please wash your hands :-)

Customer: Ok. Thank u
Dr. Altman :

You are welcome!

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: Of course. I'm using gloves
Dr. Altman :

LOL, good just wanted to make sure we stay sanitary!