Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

my dog just came inside and his face and eyes are real swollen.

my dog just came inside and his face and eyes are real swollen. he seemed fine an hour ago but i didn't really look at his face- just let him in and out. he's got an invisible fence in a suburban neighborhood. very healthy but 14 years old- all i have is people pseudoephedrine hydrochloride (i take no medications and it's not in the box so not sure of the brand). do i just watch him, give him this, go get benedryl, go to an emergency place (if we have one). he's not breathing hard or acting funnier than usual. he's always a little hyper. it's 11;30pm. any ideas? nancy

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Grits swollen face. He may be having an allergic reaction here causing this facial edema. Dogs can get bit or stung by something and have an allergic reaction that is displayed with facial edema, hives, weakness, collapse or vomiting. At home, the best thing an owner can do there is to do cold compresses on the area of the swelling along with diphenhydramine (Benadryl) dosed at 1 mg per pound every 8 to 12 hours. This can help with mild reactions. More serious ones should be seen by an ER clinic where an injection of steroids can be given to quiet the reaction. I would always like an ER clinic to be involved as they can definitely get things to quiet down quickly, but one may not be always available. The psuedoephedrine isn't something that can be used.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is the benadryl to relieve the symptoms or is it necessary. i'm watching him and he seems fine, as far as how he's acting. the swelling hasn't gotten any worse.

The Benadryl would be to help improve the symptoms. In some dogs, it isn't necessary as their own bodies immune system quiets down on its own. More importance on receiving therapy is if he was really stressed, really itchy, starting to become weak or to vomit. These would be increasing clinical signs.
Hi Nancy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Grits. How is everything going?