Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

Our dog has been irritable and grumpy for a couple of days.He

Our dog has been irritable and grumpy for a couple of days.He has been favoring one of his front paws over the other. He has a tumor on his left armpit that was tested on Wednesday and was determined to be fatty.The dog had dinner tonight at 7pm with our other dogs. At about 930pm he vomited up some brown liquid. Now he has the shakes and a discharge from his eyes that looks like snot. All of the dogs ate the same food and the other 3 are fine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 10 months ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Thor.
A lot of separate issues to breakdown.
first, the leg.

To be favoring a front paw is clearly a problem.
My primary concerns for a limp on a front leg/paw include:
1. Having stepped on something that no longer remains.
2. Hypersensitivity reaction (i.e. insect bite or sting)
3. Hyperextension injury (like bending your wrist back too far)
4. A soft tissue injury (like sprain or straining your wrist or ankle)
5. Fracture, especially in the digits of the paw
6. In older pets, I always think about exacerbating arthritis (common for the elbow)
My primary worry is there is some type of soft tissue injury, and therefore, he really needs some appropriate anti-inflammatory and/or pain medicine.
Avoid over the counter drugs as he has recently vomited, and something like aspirin is very likely to make him more sick.

Now, vomiting.
Vomiting causes can include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

It is possibly some of the shaking is related to either nausea or pain. Either one or both.

The eye discharge could suggest an allergy issue, conjunctivitis, or recent trauma (like getting scratched or walking into something).
So, some separate topical therapy will be needed to help out those eyes. You can clean the eyes with just water or some sterile saline solution available at most grocery stores.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day, which should be divided into two or three doses. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day divided. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

I guess we can't blame Thor for being irritable. If suffering from stomach problems, a hurt leg, and having some eye issues, he is very likely uncomfortable and that will contribute to his agitation. Well worth getting your vet, any vet, to evaluate him and start some supportive treatment.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Doctor,

Thor has been diagnosed and treated for Lyme flareups several times in the past. The paw favoritism and lethargy have been symptomatic of this issue in the past. The eye discharge and trembling are new. Is it possible these are just additional symptoms of a Lyme flareup?

Hi Jay,
I can't say no, although the eye discharge is very fitting.

Have to be careful. Generally, lyme disease is treated with doxcycyline or minocycyline, which can be quite hard on the stomach. So, your vet will have to tackle the recent vomiting and nausea as well, so he will tolerate taking antibiotics.

I would also encourage a recheck blood test to see if lyme disease is an issue. It would be bad to unnecessarily put him on several weeks of antibiotics if not indicated.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Doctor,

The shaking seems to have subsided considerably, though the little guy is definitely still not feeling well at all. We came on here to decide if we should rush him to an emergency vet. Given this conversation and how he seems to be feeling slightly better, I think we will wait until morning. When he flares up - I think given his weight and his breed's tendency to drama - he crashes pretty hard. Here's hoping it is something treatable simply and safely for our boy.

Thank you.

Agreed.
If resting comfortably, no active vomiting, not panting heavy or exhibiting labored breathing, or persistent shaking/tremors, you could monitor until tomorrow.

Good Luck Jay.
I hope my responses have been satisfactory.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
Hi Jay,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Thor. How is everything going?