Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
Can you please give me an approximation of the size of each piece, what type of chocolate (milk, dark, white), and how long ago he ingested the chocolate?
Size in approximate ounces would be great and whether they are pure chocolate or filled with anything
In order to see mild signs of chocolate toxicity that you are describing then it would require 2 ounces of chocolate total to be ingested
Mini Halloween candies. A nestle crunch, Hershey milk chocolate bar, and butterfinger. Ounces, not sure.
OK do you have the wrappers?
Or any intact wrappers
It's good because a few of those are not pure chocolate, only the hershey's
My husband is looking for it in the garbage. I would say about35 oz each .
So an assortment bag of 250 pieces is 76 ounces
So that would mean about 0.3 ounces each as you mentioned
Three pieces is 1.2 ounces (if pure chocolate, less since they have other ingredients) so it should not cause more than gi upset
How long ago did he ingest them?
I would say so. I was not home, my husband said he ate three, possible one was a bite size Babe Ruth.
about 3 hours ago.
Do you have any 3% hydrogen peroxide at home
If it has been three hours then likely it has already left the stomach and inducing vomiting will not help at all
Maybe. Going to look.
Please remove the water, this is a sign of chocolate ingestion and can indicate progressive signs
Does Riley have a heart condition at all?
Not aware of. But possibly. He was vaccinated by mistake by my vet with all shots, rabies etc. twice in 11 months and has had side affects from that.
Husband looking for peroxide
Your vet would have mentioned a heart murmur or condition. This would be unrelated to vaccination errors
If he is retching without success his stomach is empty and inducing vomiting would not be helpful
Can he rest at all? Or is he pacing/ anxious
pacing. not throwing up anything but clear liquid and mucus. He seems to be in labored breathing.
Do you have a veterinary er in your area? It might require some injectable medications to calm his discomfort at this point
After approximately an hour the chocolate has been metabolized and is causing his gi distress
will look for emergency hospital opened on Sunday night.
You can call your regular vet clinic
Often on their voice mail they will list "who to call in case of emergency"
it is across the Bay where I also know where the emergency hospital is. About 45-50 minutes away
Unfortunately I would advise it if that is your only option because I would not expect him to see improvement for a 4 hour window
I am not in my local area. looking on line now
You can also look up a local vet clinic and call their voice mail
Would you like me to wait with you until you find someone?
We are trying to call. I guess there is nothing else you can do. what kind of meds would they give him?
IV fluids to flush out the remaining chocolate from his system, injectable anti nausea medication, injectable sedatives to reduce the blood pressure and heart rate side effects
You both will be in my thoughts this evening, so sorry he is having this severe reaction
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance
thank you. we are calling a place now. how long does this stay in his system
Commonly maximum levels in 4-6 hours after ingestion
Good luck to you both, truly
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me.
I am going to be exiting for the evening but wanted to make sure you are satisfied with our chat and are on your way before I go?