Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Our 27-pound Beagle ate a bunch of Cottonelle wipes. Should

Our 27-pound Beagle ate a bunch of Cottonelle wipes. Should we have any great immediate concern? Or, are we OK to see if they pass? She often eats tissues and the occasional paper towel, but these Cottonelles are a first. Our Vet has indicated in the past that the paper products are not an issue as long as they pass, but we're concerned about any possible chemicals in the wipes. Are we OK for tonight with the possibility of taking her to our Vet tomorrow if she does not start passing them? Thank in advance for any advice.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Ella.

Well, Dan, this can go either way.
Yes, there is the possibility for them to pass in the stool over the next 24-72 hours.

However, she ate a bunch of them!
So, if they ball up, there is a very real chance that they could cause an obstruction in the stomach or intestinal tract.

Ideally, I would suggest a vet visit now for some abdominal x-rays to see if they are balled up, and if so, how much is stuck in the stomach. Why?
Well, it gives you an option for possible endoscopy to remove them without surgery.

So, you could wait, but if one does get stuck in the intestinal tract, the option for a non-surgical removal may have already passed.

Inducing vomiting can be dangerous with this type of foreign body as it would be difficult to get back out of the stomach and could get stuck.
I would generally suggest x-ray before inducing vomiting as well.
Because its a bunch of them, that is why my answer is a bit different.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Dan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ella. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Andy,

Ella is doing well. We considered your very good advice and our previous experiences with Ella, and we decided to wait until morning to speak with our Vet. He expressed similar concerns but also suggested we would be OK to keep watch and make sure Ella would pass the wipes. She hasn't seemed to have any complications from the situation. Thanks again for the advice and prompt response. We will, for sure, utilize this service again if a need arises.

Happy to hear everything okay so far.
Good Luck!