Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My 11 year old Pekingese has been fed a homemade diet his entire

My 11 year old Pekingese has been fed a homemade diet his entire life. He is now being treated for renal failure and was put on the specific diet. We've tried Hills & Royal Canine both wet and dry foods and he rejected them. I tried force feeding him but it stresses him out too much and I also have his congestive heart failure to worry about... We tried the Royal Canine Renal pouches for cats as a last resort after his hospitalization and surprisingly, he had some! My question(s): is it safe for him to feed exclusively on a food designed for cats? and, if not, is daily force feeding still an option? And lastly, can he eventually go back to his homemade diet? And if yes, how should it be modified? He's lost so much weight... he eats and drinks very little :(
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

No, you should not feed him a cat diet. these are quite high in protein and that is what we want to avoid in renal failure dog.

You are going to have better luck either feeding a homemade diet for kidney failure or even feeding what you used to and then add a phosphorous binder. A good phosphorous binder would be Maalox or Mylanta. You can give that to make other diets more kidney friendly.

Here is a nice link on how to make a diet that is easy on the kidneys at home:

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much Dr. Gary :) Never knew about the phosphorus binder! Great ideas & link.