Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Hi my dog has been diagnosed with pancreatitis yesterday night.

Hi my dog has been diagnosed with pancreatitis yesterday night. he has been fasting since 6 pm last night friday (now is saturday 3.45 pm). I just brought him home from the vet. The vet gave me IV drip to treat him at home. the vet will be available monday night. Can my dog survive with IV drip until that time (no food and water at all)? The vet told me to stop his IV drip tonight and continue tomorrow morning and he told me he could survive with only 500 ml of IV drip per day until Monday night. Is that possible? will a lil bit of water hurt him? He is a stressful and panicky dog. WHen he got home he got so panicked until he coughing real bad and fell on the floor. SHould I worry? Thanx. He's 15 yr old pomeranian.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. He can survive with just fluids given at home through the weekend. I wouldn't go that route with him though. We used to think that Pancreatitis dogs needed to go a couple days without any food or water to calm down the pancreas and get them back to normal. Nowadays, we start offering food once they go a good 8-12 hours without any vomiting.

I would actually start offering water now. You could offer water and even a little Pedialyte or Gatorade as there are more electrolytes in those that will be helpful. If he drinks some and keeps it down, then you can offer some canned food that is diluted down with some water. You can give small amounts every 2-4 hours initially. Once he's keeping that down, then you can give larger amounts every 4-6 hours. You should be able to get him eating a decent amount by Monday. Once they're eating and keeping it down, they improve very quickly.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. I went to 2 doctors. one vet said he must fast till monday (So 60 hrs). The other one said he could stop his fast tonight and eat a lil bit of food. Usually he eats 180 g of royal canin hepatic canned. He's about 4.7 to 4.8 kg. The portion at the back of the canned said 215g for obese dogs. My dog is fat. When he started to get sick last week. He lost his appetite and his food must be forced. He ate about 90 - 120 g daily divided into 3 small meals.

right now he's still on IV drip and his stomach is gurgling. Should I be worry? Will his condition become worse because of fasting and Which is the best way to take? Because if he fast, it will be for 60 hrs and that seems to be a very long time.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
The stomach gurgling is expected. My stomach would gurgle too if it had been fasted for 24 hours. I would start water and then food tonight. I wouldn't fast that long.

The other thing you can give to help settle the stomach down some is Pepcid AC (Famotidine). You could give 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet every 12-24 hours. This is available over the counter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is the normal range of period of fasting for pancreatitis dog? How many gram of food should I give him? The label says for obese dog its 215 g. Normally I would give him 160 -180 g. For the past week when he started to get sick I gave him about 90 -120 g.

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I usually fast these dogs for 8-12 hours. That is all.

I would try to get 120-160 g into him. Ideally you want to get him back to his normal intake over the next 2-3 days.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help. Oh I forgot to ask. Should he be given painkiller or antibiotics? Its already 4.50 pm here. What time should I give him his food? Because he need to rest and sleep. Today have been crazy hectic at the vet and he's easily stressed and panicky dog. If i give him 30 g tonight and 30g tomorrow morning (8am). Is that alright? Thanx again.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
If he seems painful, then pain meds would be indicated. The jury is still out on whether antibiotics are actually helpful. Personally, I use antibiotics when treating Pancreatitis. I typically use one called Metronidazole.

I would give some water now and then 30 g of food tonight. You can repeat it in the morning and give 30 g every 4-6 hours through the day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He's not crying or not screaming when his tummy being touched or pressed. But he seems restless and pacing around unable to sleep. probably because of his nausea? So does that means he doesn't need painkiller just yet? Thanks so much.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like he's a bit uncomfortable, I would give a pain med tonight after feeding him if you have some from your vet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think i made a mistake and his IV drip was too fast and thats why he was kinda like having a heart attack? Could this damage his heart or his veins? Thank you so much.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
No, he should be ok. His kidneys will work to get rid of any extra fluid you gave.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian