Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

Hello, My dog was neutered about 6 months ago. He healed

My dog was neutered about 6 months ago. He healed up just fine after that with no problem. We took him to the vet to get the staples out 2 weeks later with also no problem. However, yesterday I noticed something on his scar almost like there's a tick under his skin. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it. It was hard and really small round clot with a dark colour under his skin where the scar is from neutering . I would send you the pictures if I could.

He never has any tick and he's on Trifexis every months.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request, but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Regards,

Scott

Hello again Cindy and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear about Chopper's problem. Hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. The chances are this is just a small reaction to one of the stitches which were left in the suture layer under the skin, it could be a very minor access or just an area of reaction. This is not an uncommon situation and can occur many months after the operation.

2. If this is the diagnosis then as long as the wound area is not swollen or coming apart in any way then there is no cause for concern. Usually these things do not need any treatment and will gradually resolve on their own but if things do not resolve over the next few weeks or you become further concerned then you should have your vet check it over.

3. I would be glad to look at a photo if you can send me it's URL perhaps on Flicker or Picasa, alternatively it is sometimes possible to upload them if you see the paper clip icon on the tool bar above.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.