Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

carafate 1g. 1/4 tab twice day for small (11) pound dog.

carafate 1g. 1/4 tab twice day for small (11) pound dog. Dog is taking this and three other medications
including 1/4 to1/2 Acepromazine 10mg; Ametidine 300 mg 1/4 tab twice day; Tramadol 50 mg 1/2 tab twice daily . for an injury to his back 5 days ago, home from hospital yesterday evening and each time I mix all of these needs in his food he seems to get really anxious and his back seems to knot up real tight
I do not like the way he looks and acts after he gets all of these meds. I called the hospital today but am not sure I should give him all these meds and they told me to start him on Prednizone Sunday. I am so concerned as my little guy seems worse after all these meds. Please give me your thoughts thank you
He is 5 years old and full of energywhen he is well but tonight I am aafraid I am going to lose him
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm a little surprised he's on so much as well. Typically I just put these dogs on an anti-inflammatory med (Rimadyl or Pred) and a pain medication (Tramadol or Gabapentin). I don't typically use Carafate or Acepromazine or Amantadine.

I would probably try a day of just giving Tramadol. I would see if that leaves him with his pain under control but less of the spacey and sedated look. I would imagine that you'll be happy with the results.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there anything I can do I to relieve his back when it knots up like that or is that from too many meds

He seems to be in such distress. Thank you

The one med on that list that is a muscle relaxant is Acepromazine. You could give Ace when you see those muscle spasms. Otherwise, I would just give another dose of Tramadol. That should help with the pain and spasms.