Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

I have a 6 year old female Boston Terrier, she has not been

I have a 6 year old female Boston Terrier, she has not been herself lately. She has been hacking up this white foXXXXX XXXXXquid maybe 5 or 6 times a day and she has lost her appetite and wont eat. She seems like she doesnt have any energy and is sleeping a lot and is walking slower. she also seems like she is cold and her whole body is shivering sometimes.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 months ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern about Fanny.
You are close to thinking she could have a cold. But, a cold is a viral problem. Many many dogs get upper respiratory infections that are bacterial. Some dogs can get quite sick and will also lose their appetite.

The problem is, we don't know 100% if the hacking is due to a respiratory infection, or if the hacking is more stomach related.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day, which should be divided into two or three doses. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day divided. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Now, if not stomach related, one of the above may not help at all.
Either way, definitely, it is time to get into a vet, as a course of antibiotics to deal with a respiratory infection is very important.

Avoid anything raw and anything fatty like bacon, although I definitely appreciate your efforts to try and get Fanny to eat. Those foods can often make a dog quite sick.

Here is a bland diet recommendation:
Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese
And
Cooked white rice
*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above
*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice

What about shivering?
Well, that can also be a sign of nausea or even pain. So, again, just in case this is nausea, one of the antacids above is worth a try . But, you might want to get into an emergency vet tonight if the shivering/tremors persist.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for all that, She also moans pretty good like she is in pain and when i pick her up. She also has some redness in the white of her eyes and looks bloated. has defiantly lost weight

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 months ago.
I do not like hearing about the bloated appearance. That would be another vote for possible emergency visit.

The appearance of a bloated belly could be caused by:
1. Stomach Bloat
2. Gastric Dilatation Volvulus (Stomach Torsion)
3. Ascites
4. Worms
5. Organomegaly (Enlargement of the Spleen, Liver)
6. Tumor in the abdomen

The eye redness is diffficult to comment since there are some many illnesses and issues directly related to the eyes (like injury) and not related that could cause it.

With weight loss, it points to a more chronic internal condition that will warrant some additional testing including some abdominal x-rays and blood profile.

I'll hope for the best. Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 months ago.
Hello
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?