Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

my shi Tzu just ate a chicken wing bone, what should I do

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

As you may already know chicken bone ingestion can cause obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. But, more often than not dogs are able to digest the bone (s) without any problem. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the bone can damage the esophagus on the way out. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.
2- Do not induce vomiting.
3- Change the diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the bone(s) out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract.
4- If during the next 3-5 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter