Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
53976849

Hi, My dog is a Yorkie/Pom probably 7 to 9 yrs. old and this

My dog is a Yorkie/Pom probably 7 to 9 yrs. old and this evening he has been very restless. He was fine all day, this started about 6:30 p.m. He hasn't been out to relieve himself for quite awhile. He did go out earlier and had a BM and relieved himself. It's raining very hard and he won't go out now. His appetite is pretty much normal. He went into the bathroom and just stood there for awhile then went and got in his bed. He normally wants me to hold him or let him lay beside me in the chair but he's been on the couch sorta pacing and laying down, pacing and laying down for about an hour now.
Thank you for any advice.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Sam is showing these signs

Dr. Altman :

When you mentioned that he urinated/ defecated earlier how long ago are we referring to?

Customer:

It was about 4:00 or so. I just took him out and he urinated. Now he's back in his bed just sitting there.

Dr. Altman :

So he seems better now? Sorry, what time zone are you in? When he is pacing, is his tail down and walking somewhat hunched?

Customer:

We are EST, It's 9:20 here. His tail is tucked and he is kind of hunched. He only has a BM about once a day, sometimes twice. I don't think he's any better,still acting strange.

Dr. Altman :

And the rain, there is no thunderstorm or odd noises outside or in the house?

Customer:

No, everything is normal.

Dr. Altman :

Does his belly look at all swollen?

Customer:

Not really, hard to tell, he has a lot of hair.

Dr. Altman :

Is he panting?

Customer:

No, not at all. He just came out of his bed and is sitting here staring at me.

Dr. Altman :

LOL. Does he seem more anxious or uncomfortable?

Customer:

No, in fact he seems a little calmer, no pacing

Dr. Altman :

Good...Has he ever had any issues with his anal glands?

Customer:

Not that I know of. I assume the vet has cleaned them. Not sure. He's not dragging his butt or anything like that.

Dr. Altman :

Is he sitting abruptly or licking?

Customer:

No

Dr. Altman :

The top differentials for me at this point include back pain, increased gas/ cramping, anxiety for some reason we might not know about

Dr. Altman :

If the pacing is quieting down it puts gas/ cramping highest on the list

Dr. Altman :

If you have any benadryl and this recurs you can try 1 mg/ pound to see if that calms him down

Customer:

It was quite awhile before he would eat tonight. Maybe he ate to fast?

Dr. Altman :

Possibly, or if he is a little nauseous (increased licking lips, salivation) that would also play a factor as well

Customer:

He isn't licking his lips or anything. What do you think the coughing at night is? He's had his bordetellameds and he isn't around any stray dogs.

Dr. Altman :

He could have mild allergies that cause coughing in the evening or a mild bronchitis.

Dr. Altman :

You can definitely try the benadryl for a week 1 mg/ pound with dinner to see if it helps as a trial for allergies

Customer:

Should I take him to the vet tomorrow?

Dr. Altman :

If this recurs yes

Dr. Altman :

If he quiets down I would watch him for 24 hours and see if this is a one time incident

Customer:

Okay, I'll do that. So you don't think it's serious? I was afraid he was going off to hide and die earlier.

Dr. Altman :

I understand your concerns, dogs hide when they do not feel well because it is safe and it is very natural for little dogs to do this

Dr. Altman :

Things to monitor: gums are nice and pink, respiratory rate (breaths he takes in one minute) less than 60, if you are able to take a temperature is 100-102.5, belly is not swollen

Customer:

okay, so I give him the benedryl before or after he eats? How many times a day?

Dr. Altman :

With the meal, if he is only coughing in the evening then you can just give it in the evening

Dr. Altman :

But it can be given up to every 8 hours

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions or concerns tonight?

Customer:

No, I feel better chatting with you. Thank you.

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome, good luck this evening

Customer:

Thanks

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Altman :

You are welcome :-)

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joyce,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sam. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman