Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

My dog, a 1 year old german shepherd, Ive noticed him to be

My dog, a 1 year old german shepherd, I've noticed him to be coughing, but not like he swallowed water down the wrong pipe, or gagging, it's a very occasional and soft cough, but has only been doing it for the past month. It's worrying me and I'd like to know what it could possibly be
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G. :

I am sorry to hear Odin is not doing well.

Dr. G. :

You said this has been going on for about a month now, has it worsened at all over that time? Has your dog had any vomiting or diarrhea during that time? Was your dog boarded at a kennel in the past month or so, or was your dog around any other dogs during that time: pet store, groomer, dog park, neighborhood dogs, etc?

Customer:

I don't think it's worsened, the cough itself sounds about the same as it did the first time I heard it. He did it today, right before I got on here and he was laying down and I looked at him right after he did it and acted like everything was just fine. I had noticed that he had been having quite a bit of diarrhea for a little bit, but I assumed that could have been from an antibiotic he was on for folliculitis (sp?) these red spots and possibly that he hadn't eaten anything while taking the antibiotic.

Customer:

He hasn't been to a kennel, but I work at a barn, Churchill Stables, where he is constantly around and playing with my co-workers dogs. He's also around the horses there all the time

Dr. G. :

What antibiotic was he on and when did he stop? If you put moderate pressure along the bottom of the neck does he start to cough?

Customer:

No he didn't cough while I put pressure on the bottom of his neck, let me find the antibiotic bottle!

Customer:

I cannot find the bottle anywhere, so sorry

Customer:

I'd say that he stopped the antibiotic about a couple of weeks ago

Dr. G. :

that's ok. The coughing is most likely related to one of two things: either coughing from an upper respiratory infection, which he would get from another dog, or it could be related to irritation of the airways from being in the barn. Those would be the most likely reasons to have a cough like this.

Dr. G. :

One thing you could try doing is starting an antihistamine like benadryl to see if there is any improvement. If there is not improvement, I would have him checked out by your vet to make sure there are no signs of infection or any abnormal findings during his exam

Dr. G. :

how much does Odin weigh?

Customer:

Right at 60 lbs

Dr. G. :

at 60 pounds, we would typically recommend 2.5 of the 25 mg generic benadryl (diphenhydramine) tablets every 8 hours

Customer:

okey doke, thank you so much. I just google'd dog coughing and you can imagine the things that came up on heart disease and lung cancer, I freak out very easily thus why I got on here immediately. But I will get him on the benadryl

Dr. G. :

You are very welcome. There is the potential for those diseases, however it is unlikely based on his age, breed, and the progression of his signs. Most likely it is either a minor infection or related to irritation or allergy. If there is no improvement with benadryl, he should get a good exam

Customer:

Yes sir, I will more than likely take him to get an exam just to be certain within the week. Thank you so much. Just out of curiosity, is there anything I should look for as far as it being anything worse? He has all of his vaccines, bordetella, rabies, distemper by the way, this is my last question and I'll leave you be ha.

Dr. G. :

The biggest thing would be a worsening of respiratory signs: longer bouts of coughing, deep labored breaths, hacking cough, and even vomiting at the end of coughing. Any collapse or lethargy would also be signs that he is not feeling well

Customer:

Thank you again. And have a happy halloween!

Dr. G. :

you're very welcome. Have a great night!

Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian