Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

the top of my dogs foot is puffy and he is limping on it. We

the top of my dogs foot is puffy and he is limping on it. We live in an area where there are goat heads but I don't see anything in it. the swelling comes and goes. I am unemployed so a visit to the vet is something out of my reach financially. I am not sure how to help him.
Gail
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he licking the area?
2- Is he on any medications?
3- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not licking the area, not on any medications, weighs 70 lbs.

seems to bother him when he first gets up after laying down the worst.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Gail, common causes for what you are describing are: An injury, joint inflammation, infection, etc. to name a few causes this is what you can do:

1- You have done right in soaking the paw in epsom salt. Do this 2-3 times a day for 5 minutes for the next week.
2- Start him on Buffered Aspirin 325mg 1.5 (one & half) tablet every 12 hours for 1 week.
3- Rest him, no running or jumping for the next week.
4- If no significant improvement after doing the above have him checked by your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if I should have any other questions pertaining to this, can I reach you again or do I have to pay again and get who ever is available at the time?

Gail

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
If it is pertaining to this problem you can follow this thread and I will answer it at no additional charge, the question will not close even after you rate me.
If you have a new question to a different problem then you will need to open a new question at additional charge. If you wish to speak to me you can write my name on the question "Dr. Peter" and I will answer it as soon as I am online.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

one more thing..... Dylan is not one to sit and soak his foot so I have been soaking a rag with the Epsom salt mixture and holding it on his foot, is this helping the same as actually soaking it?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
No Gail, the true benefit comes when the foot is soaked. Try to have another person help and distract him with a treat in front of him; tease him with the treat so he focuses on the treat and not the foot.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.