Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My Chihuahua seems troubled. He has been trembling for almost

My Chihuahua seems troubled. He has been trembling for almost 24 hours minus the time he slept (about 9 hrs overnight which is normal). He will not leave my side and at times clutches to me. He is eating but only when I bring him food. He doesn't seem to want to drink water today. He seems like he is on high alert. He is not having trouble with going to the bathroom. He does not seem like he is physically injured. I am very worried about him.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Is he having any problems jumping up or going up/ down stairs?

Is his back arched at all?

One other thing- check his gum color. Is it pink, pale or blue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No problem with jumping, etc... he just doesn't want too. He is not playing, just trembling, more then the normal shake when he is nervous. Gums seem normal.

Ok thanks.

Trembling can be due to many things in dogs. Most of the time, it's due to stress, pain or a fever. If you want to rule out a fever, you can get a digital thermometer and take a rectal temperature. The normal temp in dogs is 100-102. If > 103, then it's a fever and likely due to something infectious. Antibiotics would be needed in that case.

If the temp is normal, then it's likely pain or stress. I was asking about jumping because we can often see back pain cause trembling in dogs. Dogs can injure a disc in the back or a muscle in the back very easily. This leads to trembling, reluctance to jump up/ climb stairs, occasional yelping and lethargy.

The treatment for back pain is with anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl) and meds for nerve pain (Gabapentin). We also rest them for 1-2 weeks with crate confinement. This usually resolves the signs.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?