Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

we think our dog has been poisoned he is throwing up and s

we think our dog has been poisoned he is throwing up and shaking

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Why do you think Tank was poisoned?

Could he have ingested something odd?

How long has this been going on?

Thank you!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He chews up anything he can find

about 1/2 hour

Thanks Tom....

This does not sound like a type of poison. the signs are very different for other appears that Tank has ingested something that did not agree with him causing a digestive disturbance....the treatment is as follows:

Fast Tank for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.

Give Tank Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.

Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes

After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting and shaking has resolved, then wean Tank back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take Tank to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction or infectious agent.

Does that make sense to you, Tom?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We took Tank to the Vet. He had a stick stuck in his throat'. He is fine now. Did not appreciate you charging me the $13.00 before you even knew whether I liked your answer or not. By the way your answer was fine but took quite a while before I got it. Do not know whether it woude have helped or not, Never had a dog with a poison att

Hi Tom...I am surprised that Tank had a stick stuck in his throat because he was not showing the typical signs for that...

I am so glad,. though, that he is doing better and your vet found this.

You are not charged until you rate my answer, Tom.,...sorry if there was some confusion.

Thank you so much, Tom, for the kind rating.