Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
53976849

Hi, A friend suggested that I give my renal dog Yucca Intensive

A friend suggested that I give my renal dog Yucca Intensive for her arthritis/inflammatory symptoms as she was put on Prednisone recently. I searched the web and Yucca Intensive is available on Amazon and 1800petmeds.

http://www.petmedsbuy.com/object.php?id=4 and http://www.1800petmeds.com/Yucca+Intensive-prod10850.html

I just want to know how safe is Yucca Intensive and if it's a good herbal supplements for gastric, joint pain, inflammations and skin rashes?

Can we use it to replace Predisone, Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Metacam, Tramadol, Misoprostol etc?

Tks!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

Although the yucca is perfectly safe in moderation as discussed in the attached links you have provided, unfortunately it is meant more as a supplement to treatment versus a replacement

Dr. Altman :

Have you discussed other alternatives such as gabapentin (neurontin in people), acupuncture, laser therapy?

Customer:

I see.........acupuncture yes. The rest, no.

Customer:

My dog was recently diagnosed with CRF

Dr. Altman :

Is she on supplements such as glucosamine sulfate, high dosage of fish oil with omega fatty acids?

Dr. Altman :

Ah, then steroids and nonsteroidals really should be avoided

Customer:

she was coughing last mth and I suspected the subq and the vet put her on Pred and Furosemide

Customer:

She's on MSM and CoQ10

Customer:

and Salmon Oil

Customer:

she has fluid in her lungs

Customer:

but it's all cleared now

Customer:

so a friend suggested that now that she's off the Pred, I can consider Yucca

Dr. Altman :

I would really discuss the gabapentin

Customer:

and now that I read it's 'so good', i'm wondering if it's safe as there's a bad review on the additive Potassium Sobate

Dr. Altman :

It takes a full week to be effective but is very safe for older pets that are on other medications or other organ issues

Customer:

is gabapentin a drug for inflammation?

Dr. Altman :

Now that I know about the kidneys please let me review the ingredients again

Dr. Altman :

It is a medication that dulls the nerve firing associated with pain

Dr. Altman :

So it is not an antiinflammatory

Customer:

O.....ok. My CRF dog was limping a bit too.....she was a rescued stray. Her left hind leg seemed to have an old injury

Customer:

while she was on Pred for her lungs, she wasn't limping!!!

Dr. Altman :

Ah, I see

Dr. Altman :

Sorry, the steroids were not given with the nonsteroidals you listed such as rimadyl, deramaxx, metacam correct?

Customer:

no, I copied and pasted the medication. My CRF pup is not on them. I'm asking as another friend of mine having a CRF dog needs Carafate and/or Misoprostol.

Customer:

we are from Malaysia and recently Carafate was out of stock

Customer:

pharmacist recommended Mucosta Rebamipide

Customer:

so if Yucca Intensive is as 'good' and as 'safe' as it claims to be, then we can try it on our pups

Dr. Altman :

Yes, I always advise starting anything new in lower doses then advised then titrating up to ensure there are no side effects. Even with herbs

Customer:

So Dr. Altman, you don't think Yucca can help my CRF pup with her limping and any inflammatory issues inside her? she used to have hiccups and coughs after subq, but not anymore. I thought Yucca will be a good 'preventive' and maintenance supplement.

Dr. Altman :

I absolutely do not see a harm in using the yucca for this purpose but it is more for longterm and not acute lameness/ pain

Dr. Altman :

I definitely think it is worth trying to see if it gives some comfort

Customer:

ok thks!! :D

Dr. Altman :

And discussing with your vet if gabapentin is something available for use because it is easy on the organs, less expensive, and safer then the nonsteroidals

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions this evening?

Customer:

One last one on gabapentin - it's for arthritis? or it's a good 'alternative' to Predisone?

Dr. Altman :

I use it for chronic pain of any kind

Dr. Altman :

It is an alternative to nonsteroidals and steroids as well

Dr. Altman :

I use the steroids/ nonsteroidals as meds to use when a dog is having increased pain on an as needed basis

Customer:

I see. Ok tks. Will discuss with my vet if it's available here.

Dr. Altman :

Great! Can I assist with any additional questions today?

Customer:

Not for the time being. Tks!!

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Dr. Altman :

Good luck to you both :-)

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so sorry, I forgot to ask if you think human can take Yucca Intensive?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
This is definitely not my area of expertise, I would imagine that there is a human formula that will be much safer than using the formula created for our pets…

I hope this helps! I am signing off for the night but will check in tomorrow morning to see if you have responded with additional questions. Thank you!
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian