Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

50 lb american bulldog ate some coffee grounds. what should

50 lb american bulldog ate some coffee grounds. what should i do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear that Rocky is trying to get himself into trouble. The good news is that with a dog his size he will have to eat a significant amount of coffee grounds to cause any problem. So as long as he did not eat very much (few table spoons) then he should not have any problems except maybe upset tummy.

Customer:

oh my gosh...what a relief...thank you so much, Dr. Whitehead. I'm not certain what I just paid for this ... but I am glad you were there.

Dr. Whitehead :

You are very welcome. So just monitor him for any stomach upset. If he has any diarrhea or vomiting you can give him pepto at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 15 lbs of body weight every 12 hours to settle his tummy down.

Dr. Whitehead :

Do you know how much he ate?

Customer:

I do not...he likes to grab paper towels out of the trash...he grabbed one with coffee grounds on it...most of the grounds are still in the trash and much of it fell onto the carpet. He is acting normal...but this just happened.

Dr. Whitehead :

That is good then. He probably did not get enough to cause any problems. If you want to be a 100% you can induce vomiting using hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 tablespoon per 20 lbs of body weight. Just gently poor it into his mouth to have him drink it and repeat in 15 minutes if he does not vomit.

Dr. Whitehead :

Otherwise just monitor him closely for any signs of caffeine intoxication meaning he may become restless, hyper, drinking more. . . This will resolve within a few hours. The time to get worried is if he starts to have tremors or seizures. But again this is highly unlikely!

Customer:

He's just lying down. Acting very normal. Maybe he didn't eat that much. Do you think he would be acting hyper by now, if there was an issue?

Dr. Whitehead :

Perfect he could be showing signs within just a few minutes but just keep a close eye on him. He is a bigger dog so again would take quite a bit to have any problems and with your description his intake appears to be minimal.

Dr. Whitehead :

If he is still normal in the next couple hours then he is not going to have any signs.

Customer:

ok. thank you very much.

Dr. Whitehead :

You are very welcome. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer:

how do I get ahold of you? he just drank some water...I am so nervous.

Dr. Whitehead :

even if you rate my response you can still come back to this conversation, you can copy the link and you should have a email with the link, and send me another message. No problem. Drinking water is not concerning at this time. He is most likely drinking normally. It only becomes concerning if he starts drinking bowl after bowl.

Dr. Whitehead :

Even then as long as he is not having tremors or seizure it is still just mild signs. So i would not worry to much. Again chances are minimal that he will show any signs

Customer:

ok...i only use 3 tbl spoons of coffee. most of the grounds are in the trash...I think he will be ok. just love my dog so much.

Dr. Whitehead :

Yes then definitely he will be fine. There is no way he consumed enough to cause a problem

Customer:

Yay. You're the best. Thanks so much.

Dr. Whitehead :

You are very welcome. Have a good night. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.