Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.

I came home this afternoon to my 8 month puppy crying. She

Customer Question

I came home this afternoon to my 8 month puppy crying. She was really distressed. She kept licking her butt. I thought maybe she had been stung or bitten by something but couldn't find any evidence of that. She was crying a lot. Finally she went to the bathroom and I picked it up as she had gone in the house (she never does this). When I picked it up I notice it was really hard and yellow. There weren't any objects in it. It was the consistency of hard clay soil and it was kind of crumbly. I also checked her dehydration by pinching her skin and seeing how long it took to flatten out. She was dehydrated which is rare because she drinks water a lot. I'm wondering is this just a fluke or is it a sign of something serious?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 months ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Lexi is showing these signs!

Dr. Altman :

How is she doing now that she has had the bowel movement? Is she more comfortable?

Customer: Yeah she seems to be feeling better. She seems to be more hydrated too. She did sleep more than she usually would for about 3 hours afterward. She's just had a lot of other health issues in her short life so were a little more concerned when she has anything out of the ordinary.
Dr. Altman :

I understand. As a precaution can you please also check her gums to see whether they are sticky (dry) or slimy (wet) as a reflection of her hydration status?

Customer: They're wet. She did just take a few sips of water about 2 minutes ago.
Dr. Altman :

OK good. No signs of nausea (licking lips, eating grass, increased salivation), vomiting, gurgling stomach? Has she eaten since then?

Customer: No signs of nausea. I don't think she's eaten since then tho. Her kibble is still in her bowl. That's not necessarily unusual tho. She is chewing on a bone right now.
Dr. Altman :

LOL, just like a puppy

Dr. Altman :

I am not sure whether to be concerned about this one bowel movement

Dr. Altman :

Puppies being puppies she could have ingested something that upset her stomach and now that is has passed all could be back to normal. Believe me I have seen my dogs do this!

Customer: Yes! She is amazingly resilient! But she's acted fine before and has been really sick.
Dr. Altman :

Is she resting or still chewing on her bone?

Dr. Altman :

At rest please monitor her respiratory rate. In a puppy her age it should be about 30

Dr. Altman :

Perhaps a little higher

Dr. Altman :

Also monitor that gum color and texture

Dr. Altman :

If you are able to take her temperature that would also be great to monitor

Dr. Altman :

100-102.5 is normal

Customer: Still chewing but coming for pets every 5 min or so. She does seem subdued. She is usually a maniac!
Dr. Altman :

If she is chewing on a bone that is a good sign

Dr. Altman :

I am sure her anxiety and discomfort has taken it out of her for the evening

Customer: How do I check respiratory rate?
Dr. Altman :

I apologize, you count how many breaths she takes in one minute time

Dr. Altman :

You can place a hand on her chest and feel the rise and fall while watching a clock

Customer: Ok I'll do that.
Dr. Altman :

Also you can try enticing dinner (versus the bone which might upset the stomach) with a little cooked white rice

Dr. Altman :

But definitely be monitoring those bowel movements for 24 hours, the gum color and texture, any signs of nausea

Dr. Altman :

Does this make sense? How else can I assist you both this evening?

Dr. Altman :

Are you still there?

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: She's a little less than that. I may not be that accurate because she did not want me to hold her and check it.
Dr. Altman :

OK less is great, very normal

Customer: Thank you for your help. I'll just watch her and if she seems different I'll take her to our vet tomorrow. As Lexi loves all vets, she says thank you too!
Dr. Altman :

LOL, you are very welcome to you both :-)

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
Hi Shoshonee,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lexi. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Lexi seems to be doing better. She did have really hard white stool two more times. As of yesterday night she was back to her normal happy self. She was somewhat more tired during the day.
The white stool is very odd, she must have gotten into something! I am glad she is on the mend and back to her normal self. Thank you so much for the update!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns in the future :-)