Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

HI, I have a cavalier king Charles spaniel she is 14 years

HI, I have a cavalier king Charles spaniel she is 14 years old and had a seizure last weekend around 3 in the morning her head started moving back and forth and her eyes were twitching her legs were kind of stiff. It lasted for about 1 hour and very early this morning the same thing happened again. when it was over she didn't have good control of her back end. She finally acted ok . She sleeps with me and I have loved her all her life. Is my dogs life coming to a end. Please advise me.
Thankyou
Christina
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 8 months ago.

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Ruby. When a dog her age starts to have seizures it is concerning. It could be something to do with her liver, her electrolytes, her blood sugar, meningitis (not infectious), or even a brain tumor. It is recommended to have her seen by your vet and to have her examined and have some blood work done to make sure her liver is functioning properly and that her blood sugar and electrolytes are normal. They will do a good neurological exam also to see if she is having any other signs of neuro disorders. If it worsens you can have an MRI done or a CSF tap done at a specialist to determine the cause. The other option if blood work is normal is to start her on one of the newer seizure medications to see if this can control the seizures. The new medications are safe and have minimal side effects. I would chose either Keppra or Zonisamide. Even if it is something more serious these medications can control seizures for quite some time with good quality of life. But if the medications are not able to control the seizures and they continue or worsen then unfortunately you have to make a hard decision about her quality of life. But these seizures do not necessarily mean her life is coming to an end. It could also be late onset epilepsy but that usually occurs in 2 to 6 year old dogs. So we usually think something more with the brain or other abnormalities causing it. I have treated quite a few dogs her age with seizures with these medications and have gotten good time with good quality of life. I hope that helps and I hope that makes sense. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hi Christina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ruby. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead