Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have a 9 yr old welsh corgie. she has a growth under her

Customer Question

I have a 9 yr old welsh corgie. she has a growth under her eye lid about the size of a small pea. it is recommended to have it removed. they will do a pie shape cut to remove, then stitch the lid cut close. She also has a small growth starting on the right eyelid. I was told this growth will continue to grow, the dog would have real problems if no surgery is done. Is this an expensive surgery, lengthy surgery. Will the growth return after the surgery?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question about Sassy. The growths on the eyelid margin are usually meibomian gland adenomas - tumors of the secretory glands of the eyelid. A lot of these are benign as far as not spreading, but they can cause local issues if they grow large enough. If they get large enough, they can irritate the cornea and cause possible ulcers or eyelid closure issues. A lot of these tumors are also so slow growing that they never cause any issue. That is the unknown. In situations with a middle aged healthy dog, removal of the tumor is pretty straightforward and easy so it is recommended to remove them as they may eventually cause issues. The surgery isn't that lengthy and should keep it from growing back in about 90% of cases. Here is a good link on it.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2463
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

are these types of procedures costly?

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
They aren't that expensive of a procedure in most cases. But in saying this, the cost is totally dependent on where you live and the individual veterinary practice. Some clinics can definitely do this procedure for less than others.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I live in Casa Grande, Arizona, had an estimate of high $1700.00. How do I know that this is a fair estimate. Being on a fixed income I don't want to be taken advantage of, because Sassy is a member of our family.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I can say that that quote is pretty darn high for what would be quoted in my area - unless the procedure was being done by an ophthalmologist. Honestly, it is definitely a very good option to ask for a second opinion / quote with another local clinic. Do realize that you most likely don't want the cheapest surgery as they may be skipping some anesthetic / surgical monitoring. But, do realize that you can get second quotes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your advice and honesty, greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad to have been of help here at this time. I hope everything goes well for Sassy!
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We had another opinion and felt more comfortable with his recommendations. Sassy is scheduled to have her eye surgery on Fri 11/8 by a veterinarian surgeon with 30 years of expirience. We are thankful for your honesty and advise.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad that you got the second opinion and are now much more comfortable. I hope the procedure goes well for Sassy! Give her a good head scratching for me!