Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

my dog has a white spot on her cornea. the vet says she has

my dog has a white spot on her cornea. the vet says she has high cholesterol and needs to go to a pet eye specialist. Are these two things related? Is there something I can do for her without going to the specialist? She also has some food allergies.... again can this be related to the eye problem. She wants to test her thyroid too...

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question about Maggie. Did your vet run blood work to determine that her cholesterol was high? Is she having any issues with that eye as far as squinting? Did they stain her eye?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

they did do blood work. The eye showed no fugus ..... it didn't take a stain... and I don't see her squinting

cloudy white spot over her pupil has been there about a month. the spot is nearly the size of her pupil. The vet said that her thyroid is elevated.

Interesting on the thyroid being up. It is very uncommon for a dog to have these values up. It is a ton more common to see the thyroid levels up in a cat in comparison. This would be something to monitor down the road. When there is an opacity / cloudiness on the cornea, it could be due to:
1) Lipid deposits on the inside
2) Mineral deposits on the inside
3) Old corneal injury that has healed
4) Corneal dystrophy

That is good that the cornea didn't take stain as it isn't an active corneal ulcer. It is good that she's not squinting too. With deposits on the inside of the cornea from lipid or minerals, there isn't anything to remove those deposits. Ideally if her cholesterol is high, getting it normal is greatly recommended. High cholesterol is dietary related. She should be switched to a higher fiber diet and get no table scraps / people food ad this is where a ton of fat is ingested.

A check with an eye specialist would be recommended to make sure that this lesion isn't due to something else. They can also make any other recommendations to help with this.