Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My Yorkie Mix is itchy and uncomfortable since I gave her K9

My Yorkie Mix is itchy and uncomfortable since I gave her K9 Advantix last Friday. I gave her some Childrens Benadryl today and bathed with a non-detergent shampoo and she's still itchy on her back and uncomfortable. Anything else I can do aside from never using K9 Advantix again on her?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like you're seeing an allergic type reaction to the medication. This does happen on occasion with some of these flea/ tick preventatives.

I would make sure you're giving the appropriate Benadryl dose and that should be all you need. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight every 6-8 hours. You'll probably need to give it for 2-3 days. After that, the itching should subside fully. If it's not, then a dose of steroid for a few days may be needed. That is not likely though.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I read that she may continue with the itch if you bath the dog even with non-detergent dog shampoo. Since it is early Monday am here, I may take her to the Vet later today since that will be the 3rd day.

Ok, if you're on day three then it wouldn't hurt to try a short course of steroids to get the itch under control.
Hi Sharon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Holly. How is everything going?