Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Hello, so i have a question about my dogs penis... He is about

Customer Question

Hello, so i have a question about my dogs penis...
He is about ten months old and got fixed about two months ago. In the past couple days i have noticed that the tip is very red and inflamed. Over the course of the past few months, where they glued the top part back together after the procedure, it has been coming apart slightly, not a lot, but enough that it kind of concerns me. also, accompanying the redness and inflammation he has had a little bit of a white/yellow discharge and it is always crusty there(yes, gross i'm sorry). He has no problems urinating and goes about his day as usual. In fact, it doesn't seem to bother him at all. He acts no different. I plan on taking him to the vet tomorrow, but I was wondering if this stands out as anything or if i am just over reacting and looking too much into the situation? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

This is not too concerning. It sounds like there is a bit of a suture reaction taking place where the neuter surgery was. That can happen as the body will react to the suture that is under the skin. We can see inflammation, redness and some discharge. Often times it'll resolve with topical cleaning and Neosporin. Some of them, we'll put on oral antibiotics.

The penis being a bit inflamed is probably from him having a periodic erection or even humping/ masturbating when you're not around. This is very common in dogs and it will cause some redness to the penis.

It's not wrong to get him looked at, but it would also be fine to clean it and continue to use topical Neosporin at home until it heals completely. These can take a few months for the sutures to fully dissolve and stop irritating the tissue.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Is there something else I can help with? I don't understand the poor service rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah I took him to the vet yesterday and he has a yeast infection and had to have his penis reglued. If I would have flollowed your advice and not taken him to the vet he would have just gotten way worse. Thanks for absolutely nothing.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Well I'm glad he is taken care of. From your description, it did not sound too serious. It sounded like typical suture reaction and some smegma that dogs get from time to time.