Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My chihuahua was throwing up this morning yellow bile but after

My chihuahua was throwing up this morning yellow bile but after this incident she started snorting and seemed like she couldn't catch her breath for a good 5 minutes or more. She's 12 years old. What would cause that?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- When she was snorting was the noise coming mainly from the nostrils?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It appeared to be coming from both her mouth and nostrils. She has calmed down and actually when back to her bowl for food and water. But it was a bit scary. She eats dry senior weight management kibble.

Vomiting can be caused by a simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, inflammation or even secondary to a systemic disease. As far as the snorting it sounds like she could have had a reverse sneeze, which is similar to a sneeze but the air is going inward and the dog makes that scary noise; it is not life threatening. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.2-0.3mg per pound body weight every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-10 hours. Need to give gastrointestinal tract.
3- After 8-10 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above, she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sasha. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for asking, she is doing fine. She has not vomited again and no more sneezing.

I will wean her back to her diet starting tomorrow.

Thanks again for following up,

Excellent! I am happy to learn Sasha is doing better.

You're welcome.

Dr. Peter