Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

good morning i took my dog to the doctor last week and i was

Customer Question

good morning i took my dog to the doctor last week and i was told that my boy chihuahua white blood cell count was low and that he had an infection in his body but he wasn't sure what kind or what cause it. please can some one help me with this
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

This is tough to know what is causing the fever and low white count. If the white count is just slightly low (in the 2-5,000 range), then it's probably just due to consumption of white cells at the site of the infection. If it's < 2,000, then I would worry about something affecting the actual bone marrow.

If there is an infection somewhere, then I usually do x-rays to try to find it. It could be pneumonia, an abscess in the abdomen (liver, spleen), a kidney infection, a bladder infection, a tooth root infection, ect. Many times we never find the source of infection. In those dogs, I'll often have them on a combination of Clavamox + Baytril. This is a nice broad spectrum antibiotic combination.

If they think it's in the bone marrow, then I would do a bone marrow biopsy. In that case, you're trying to determine if it's an infection or an auto-immune disease. If auto-immune, then he'll need to go on steroids (Prednisone).

I know it's not an easy answer, but these FUO (fever of unknown origin) dogs can be tough to diagnose and treat.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

does this cause him to lay around and not want to eat and when he does eat something he bring back up?

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
Yes, this fever and low white count can cause lethargy and nausea. Once the fever is under control, his energy and appetite should return.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

SO DO YOU THINK I SHOULD TAKE HIM TO ANOTHER DOCTOR CAUSE HE STILL NOT FEELING BETTER OR SHOULD I GIVE THE MEDICATION TIME TO WORK IN HIS SYSTEM, HE'S DRINKING A LITTLE WATER EVERY NOW AND THEN, THE DOCTOR TOLD ME TO FEED HIM RICE AND CHICKEN DO YOU THINK THATS GOOD FOR HIM OR DO YOU RECOMMEND SOMETHING ELSE, IT'S LIKE HE WILL WALK OVER TO IT SMELL IT THEN WALK AWAY I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO I'VE TRYED GIVING HIM VEG. TREATS HE BRING THAT BACK UP AS WELL.(JUST A CONCERN MOM)

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
I would probably have that vet recheck him or see another vet if you want a second opinion. I would probably recheck the CBC (complete blood count) and get x-rays as my next steps.

I would offer him whatever he'll eat. He doesn't need a special diet right now, he just needs to get something down and keep it down. Some anti-nausea meds like Cerenia would be nice to help with that nausea.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
Hi Sharon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snookie. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He still not doing well I took him to a vet hospital and they dinoise him with lime desease witch I haven't seen marks on him to show that what it is the only thing I see is that he still not eating , he may take a little nibble here and there but not eating the way I know him to eat also he just lying around not want to play like am us to him doing. So can u please help me out with this cause I feel like am about to lose my dog .
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry to hear that he's still not doing well. If this is just Lyme disease, then Doxycycline + anti-inflammatory meds should help get him going. I would still recommend hospitalizing him on IV fluids and appetite stimulants until he's eating. Sometimes a day or two in the hospital will get some energy back to these dogs and get them back on the road to recovery.