Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Hi, May I know if theres any difference in function/purpose

May I know if there's any difference in function/purpose between Omeprazole and Carafate?

I can't get hold of any Carafate currently and was recommended Mucosta Rebamipide to replace carafate. Is that ok and as effective to treat GI ulcers for dogs?

Wai Kwan
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Carafate is a coating medication used to treat esophagitis. It's also helpful for stomach ulcers in dogs.

Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor. This is essentially an antacid that is used to lower the stomach acid secretion. We use these antacids for many different causes of GI upset, ulcers, esophagitis and general nausea.

Rebamipide is not a drug that is approved for use in the US, but we do use something similar called Misoprostol (Cytotec). This is used to help the stomach protect itself better. I would use it with Omeprazole.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Gary,

Thanks for your reply. May I know if Misoprostol can be used to treat mouth ulcer in dogs?

Any other medication you would recommend for mouth ulcers for dogs?

Wai Kwan

No, not for mouth ulcers. Just stomach ulcers.

For mouth ulcers, I'll use antibiotics (often Clavamox), pain meds (Rimadyl or Buprenex) and I'll often have owners do a tea rinse. It sounds weird, but there is actually some good evidence that tea has anti-inflammatory action when used topically for mouth ulcers. I'll have owners mix up any green tea and then take a syringe and rinse the ulcers with it. It does seem to help them heal faster and it helps with the discomfort.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Gary,

Sorry I have forgotten to ask if Carafate will actually heal mouth ulcers in dogs?

The dog is suffering from CRF. Can green tea be given to CRF dogs?

Is Buprenex safe for CRF dogs?

I don't typically use Carafate in my CRF mouth ulcer dogs. I don't think it helps all that much.

You can use green tea and Buprenex. Rimadyl is not safe in CRF dogs.

Hi Wk,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr. Gary,

Thanks for the green tea suggestion. I have not gotten to buying it yet but will try. I thought the Carafate would have helped with the mouth ulcers but the ulcers are still there and seems to be spreading.

My dog is still on Carafate (last 2 days before running out) and he threw up his dinner undigested this morning - 10 hours still not digested? How long does a meal get digested? Should I put him back on Omeprazole? He's on zantac now. Are they the same usage?

Meals should be digesting and moving out of the stomach within 2-4 hours of eating. That's pretty uncommon to go 10 hours. You can use Zantac and Omeprazole inter-changeably. They're pretty similar.

If the vomiting continues, I'd be inclined to go in surgically and explore this dog. It could be a stomach tumor causing the vomiting as opposed to just the ulcers. It could also be a non-healing stomach ulcer that requires surgical removal.