Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 11 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

I found a stray female German Shepherd last week, I got her

Customer Question

I found a stray female German Shepherd last week, I got her a parvo shot and have appointment on Nov 1 to have her get shots and spayed, she is 1 1/2 year to 2 year. today she woke up yelping and crying with her front left leg out, she limps and is lethargic. Tonite she started again with the yelping and crying about every five minutes. I have been rubbing her shoulder and legs. She is not vomiting. What can I do to help her with pain for tonite. I have an idea what it might be, I also have 2 little dogs and they are ok.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 10 months ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Is she putting any weight on her front left leg?

How much does she weigh?

Are you seeing any swelling on her leg?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No she is not putting any weight on the front leg, she walks and will lay down on tile

I am not sure of her weight, but I think she is over 50 lbs.

I have not seen any swelling

Thank you for the additional information.

I am very sorry to hear that Trudi is not putting any weight on her leg. This is definitely concerning. Without examining her giving you an exact diagnosis is going to be difficult therefore I would recommend taking her back to your vet if she continues to limp for a complete exam and possibly an x-ray if needed.

If you wanted to give something for pain that is over the counter you could use buffered or enteric coated aspirin. The dose is 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Even though this is safe some dogs can develop an upset stomach therefore if you see any vomiting or diarrhea then I would stop the aspirin. For a dog that is around 50 pounds, this means that she could take about 250 mg or 3/4 or an adult strength, 325 mg aspirin.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM - 11 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Is baby asprin ok?

She was very good until today, and a very loving good natured dog for being dumped off in country. I have german shepherds before and I had one with hip displaysia, but never heard him yelp and cry. If it is pano will Trudi always be like this. Is pano like gout? Will heat compress help. One great thing she is not vomiting.

Panosteitis is more common in dogs that are younger then one year of age. If she is closer to two years of age I would be less suspicious of this disorder though this is definitely a common disorder that causes sudden pain like she is displaying. Panosteitis is like growing pains that young kids experience. This is more common in the long bones such as the femur or humerus. Heat compresses can help though usually will not work as well on this disorder as they would on a sprain.

Hip dysplasia in the hind leg, a torn ACL in one of her knees, or a muscle sprain would be the most common causes of pain in a hind leg whereas elbow dysplasia, OCD of the shoulder and again a muscle sprain would be common problems in her front leg.

Baby aspirin would be fine. You could give her 3 tablets of baby aspirin every 12 hours.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX know if she had it before since I found her out in the country last week. I did just notice as she is sleeping that all for of her limbs were twitching as she sleeps. thank you for your patience just beside myself.

You are very welcome! I hope Trudi feels much better soon.

Dr. Matt
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

she is putting wright on her leg, sorry I told you she was not

Ok that is better news. I would give her the aspirin then and keep her rested to prevent her from hurting her leg worse.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hi Heidi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Trudi. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Her leg I better, but, yesterday I had to take her to emergency she is having seizures. she is still at vet