Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

I want to start cooking for my dog but unsure how to meet his

I want to start cooking for my dog but unsure how to meet his nutritional needs. There's a lot of conflicting info on what ingredients to use. Raw vs cooked meats, vegetables or no vegetables, I'm confused. My dog has no health issues. He's an eight month old Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. It would be great if you could recommend what I should do. It seems that commercial dog food is full of harmful ingredients, so I've been told.

Sincerely,
Niko's owner
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I understand your concern about commercial dog foods, and you're definitely not alone in your concern. i applaud the fact that you want what is best for Niko, but whether that is a raw or a prepared (cooked) diet is an area of great controversy at this time. Most veterinarians I know are not very enthusiastic about raw diets due to the fact that parasites can be passed in raw foods and bacteria can cause real problems for dogs fed these foods. The best option I've found for folks who want to do the best for their pets and are willing to cook for them is an online site called www.balanceit.com. For a nominal fee, this site will help you design a food for your particular pet, and also provides supplements to help make sure the diet is properly balanced. Dogs are omnivores, meaning that they can eat things besides meat, but not everything will agree with them, and excessive gas as you've described Niko as having, is a sign that he's sensitive or allergic to one or more of the ingredients in the food, although sudden changes in diet can cause an upset in the bacterial population in the intestines resulting in gas, diarrhea, and in very bad cases, vomiting. Always change diets very gradually over a period of a week, substituting the new food for the old, starting with small amounts and building up to complete substitution. A canine diet must be very accurately balanced, or long-term health problems will almost certainly occur. If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Best regards,
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much for your time to answer my question.

You're most welcome, Felicia.
If I may be of any further help to you, now or in the future, please let me know.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob
Hi Felicia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Niko. How is everything going?

Dr. Bob