Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My dog is taking .5 mg of Thyroxine 2X a day. I gave hime

My dog is taking .5 mg of Thyroxine 2X a day. I gave hime a benadryl, 25mg, about 6 hours ago (with his thyroxine) can I give him prednisone as well? He has a terrible rash on his hind end and a little on his belly, the benadryl doesn't seem to be working and he has managed to take a lot of the fur off his bum. He weighs 46 pounds and is 11 years old.
Thank you for you help!
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Yes, you can give Pred with Benadryl and Thyroxine. They are all safe to give together.

Just FYI, the actual dose of Benadryl in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight every 6-8 hours. I would start this dog at 50 mg every 6 hours. You can go as high as 100 mg every 6 hours if needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.