Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My 9 yr.old Silky Terrier is diabetic. She takes insuling

My 9 yr.old Silky Terrier is diabetic. She takes insuling (Humilin) twice day - 12 hrs. apart.
This morning I wasn't here and my caregiver forgot to give her the insulint shot & only gave her 1/2 breakfast that she usually gets! What should I do??? She is very hungry and very "lazy" not lethargic.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I would just feed her an early dinner tonight in the next hour and give her the full evening dose of insulin at that time. I would then get up a bit early to give her breakfast and a morning insulin dose in 10 hours as opposed to 12. You can then get back to your normal schedule Fri night.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I have this right.........It's 3:30pm here.....I give her dinner now & regular 6 units of insulin, then wait 10 hrs. (which would be appx. 1:30am) and feed her "breakfast" and the 6 units of insulin. Then when do I give her the next food & shot that day.

So yeah, I'd give her food and insulin now (4 ish).
Give her food and insulin at 2 am.
Then wait until ~ 4-5 pm for her next dose.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was's only 3:00pm here but she is really hungry....Can I go ahead & feed her, give shot, then feed her & give shot @ 2:00am and then feed & shot @ 4:00pm on Fri.??? Isn't that too long between 2:00 am and 4:00pm the next day? She will wake up starving!!!

Yes, that would be fine. The 14 hour wait should be ok. You can give a small snack in the morning to help hold her over.
Hi Jackie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lily. How is everything going?