Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Good afternoon- I have a one year old mixed breed mutt (collie-pitbull,

Good afternoon- I have a one year old mixed breed mutt (collie-pitbull, etc) who suffered a head injury three months ago with severe cerebal edema. He was in the hospital for five days during which time he was violent, disoriented, and aggressive. When I attempted the first time to take him home he tried to bite me. We had to leave him an extra day but the second attempt was successful. He was docile, back to his old goofy slightly retarded yet happy self, and was relieved to be home.

Now he is suffering from cluster tonic and clonic seizures, - maybe six times today. His appetite is healthy and he looks a bit drawn but otherwise ok-ish. The animal hospital won’t take him back because he tried to bite everyone who handled him the last time. They recommend Phenobarbitol, or something like that..but is that the best thing to do? Also he had a bit of dirreah last night but his stools seem to be of a normal constituency now. He also looks quite exhausted.
What do you think I should do?

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

certainly, an anti-seizure medicine such as Phenobarbital, would be the suggested approach in a patient with seizures,

Dr. Drew :

even if the seizures are the result of prior head trauma.

Dr. Drew :

There's other anti seizure medicines as well,

Dr. Drew :

but typically phenobarbital is chosen first, since it's inexpensive, and generally well tolerated by most dogs. It also reaches effective levels in the blood fairly quickly,

Dr. Drew :

unlike some other drugs.

Customer:

Ok so it isn't from the previous head injury why he is having more seizures? Do you think he got another head injury?

Dr. Drew :

It could be from the previous injury -- there could be scar tissue in the brain --

Dr. Drew :

or,

Dr. Drew :

it could be entirely unrelated,

Dr. Drew :

and he could have Idiopathic Epilepsy,

Dr. Drew :

which often appears between 1-4 years of age in dogs.

Customer:

Ok. But what do I do about his violence with vets? He's banned from the hospital. Is that from the head injury as well?

Dr. Drew :

That's a totally different situation, one that might require the assistance of a professional trainer. If he is not aggressive any other time, I have a hard time blaming it on the head injury.

Dr. Drew :

He would need to first undergo some obedience training with you,

Dr. Drew :

and then some desensitization training with the animal hospital.

Customer:

Ok. So the seizures won't kill him then... oh. Ok. He's a bit ditzy but he grasps basic commands. Ohhh ok

Dr. Drew :

(bringing him in there to get a treat, then leaving), for example.

Dr. Drew :

that way he starts to not suspect bad things any time he is there.

Customer:

ok. makes sense. They're a bit nervous because he looks pit bullish but he's a big baby

Dr. Drew :

Seizures are not typically life threatening, but if they occur for more than a few minutes at a time, or very often, they can cause secondary problems.

Customer:

ok. because afterwrds he seemed like he couldn't see very well

Dr. Drew :

interesting.

Dr. Drew :

some dogs, when they have seizures, show aggression -- but the rest of the time, they are fine.

Customer:

ok. well I will try the medication. If I have another question could I specifically request you on just answer?

Dr. Drew :

it all depends what part of the brain has the problem.

Dr. Drew :

certainly! I would be happy to help you again later on.

Dr. Drew :

you can put "Attn: Drew" in the question, and I'll get it!

Customer:

oh. ok. i guess that makes sense. It's just terrifying to see him convulsing like that

Customer:

ok. Thanks!! Im from the Bahamas so that would help you remember a bit. Thank you so very much!

Dr. Drew :

Glad I could help you today :)

Customer:

ok I am soooo relieved. Like so very relieved. Thanks

Dr. Drew :

you're very welcome!

Hi Cejay,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Storm. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew