Dr. J. Rokke
Dr. J. Rokke, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with 14yrs of experience. I enjoy internal medicine, oncology, geriatric medicine and nutrition
75149525

my dog is not walking, we tried to get him up but he cant

my dog is not walking, we tried to get him up but he can't keep balance. he also feels warm and is shaking

Dr. J. Rokke :

Hello! My name isXXXXX and I'm a licensed veterinarian with over 13 yrs of experience and I would like to help. First, I am sorry that Oddie is not doing well. I do have a few questions so that I can get a better idea of what is happening:

You mentioned he can't keep balance when you try to get him up- what is happening?
Is his head tilted to the side, is he trying to turn in one direction, are his legs buckling under him?
When did these signs start?
Is there any history of trauma (fell of the bed, etc)?
Is there anything he could have gotten into- toxins, medications, cleaners, etc.?
Is he able to eat or drink? urinate or deficate?

Dr. J. Rokke :

It appears that you are offline and unable to chat so I will check back a little later. I look forward to hearing from you soon. thanks. Jen Rokke, DVM

Customer:

You mentioned he can't keep balance when you try to get him up- what is happening? I try to stand him on all fours and his stands then falls forward or to the sides. I seems as he can't coordinate all legs to move at the same time.
Is his head tilted to the side, is he trying to turn in one direction, are his legs buckling under him? I would say yes. My wife took him a shower yesterday and afterwards we was trying to hind.
When did these signs start? This started yesterday morning.
Is there any history of trauma (fell of the bed, etc)? no history of trauma, but we have another dog (australian Shepard) and i think they got in a small fight and he might have bitten him.
Is there anything he could have gotten into- toxins, medications, cleaners, etc.? no
Is he able to eat or drink? urinate or deficate? he is not eating nor drinking, he is able to urinate and deficate. yesterday he gave him water by a baby dropper

Dr. J. Rokke : Ok. Thanks for the additional info. There are a few things that may be going on -- first, a middle ear infection. This can cause the equilibrium to be off and you can see these exact signs. Second, vestibular disease. Usually a cause is not found but you get the same issue with equilibrium as previously. Treatment is supportive care and patience as it will usually resolve in a few days. Third- if there was a small bite or if he got shook a little, head trauma or infection in the brain can cause these signs. Lastly, yorkie a are very prone to liver issues ( liver shunts, microvascular dysplasia). When the liver is not working properly, they get a build up of toxins and develop something hepatic encephalopathy which can result in the signs you are seeing.
Dr. J. Rokke : Because of his breed and the fact that he is not eating or drinking much since this began yesterday morning, it is my recommendation that you take him to your vet for a live physical exam to rule out a middle ear infection and possibly get some blood work to make sure his liver is okay. If it turns out to be benign vestibular disease, they can get him started on supportive care. Does this all make sense?
Customer:

He does have a small bit on the top of his head. and the signs happened right after. If it his a head trauma what should he do.

Customer:

We had plan on taking him to the vet this afternoon. Also he does have a history of ear infections but the signs are different this time

Dr. J. Rokke : Good idea with the vet. If head trauma causing these signs, he will receive medications to bring down any brain swelling ( called mannitol and dexamethasone) as well as be put in antibiotics. A middle ear infection is much deeper in the ear so he will act differently than with just a normal ear infection. Make sense?
Customer:

yes it does thank you

Dr. J. Rokke :

Do you have any further questions?

Dr. J. Rokke :

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

Hi Jose,

I just wanted to check in and see how Oddie is doing? Please don't hesitate to contact me with any further questions. Have a great day!

Thanks,
Jen Rokke DVM