Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

hello DR. I have a question and it is a serious one no kidding.

hello DR. I have a question and it is a serious one no kidding. My dog 4lb.chihuahua is having hot flashes. She was fixed almost 5 yrs ago. she is about 5 years old. Is there anything I can do for her? thank you jeanette

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

What exactly are you observing that makes you think "hot flashes" are occurring?

Customer:

Hello the dogs head and ears get really hot every so often and she comes out from under her covers all night and day long

Dr. Drew :

It would be useful to be able to know if her body temperature is truly elevated, as in a fever, when these episodes are occurring.

Dr. Drew :

dogs do not develop hormonal fluctuations that would cause the sensation of being overheated, whether spayed or not,

Dr. Drew :

so there would need to be some other explanation.

Dr. Drew :

some tick-borne illnesses can cause variable or intermittent fevers,

Dr. Drew :

or she may just be getting warm from being under the covers for too long.

Customer:

she takes the med for heartworm and lyme shots

Dr. Drew :

that's great, but there's other tick-borne illnesses that exist besides Lyme Disease.

Customer:

ask vet about her head a few times and was never a fever she checked each time

Customer:

Oh ok so she needs to be checked for a tick disease shes stays inside almost all time except to potty

Dr. Drew :

well, it's something worth checking -- she may turn up negative, but it's worth ruling out...

Dr. Drew :

I've seen mostly-indoor dogs come up with tick-borne illnesses, so it's justifiable to check for.

Dr. Drew :

in all honesty,

Customer:

ok thanks for your time appreciate it thanks jeanette

Dr. Drew :

if she is eating and drinking fine, and is active and playful, there's probably nothing wrong.

Dr. Drew :

you are very welcome. I wish you both all the best,.

Customer:

thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Drew,

I checked back and viewed our conversation was very satisfied and excellent service. First time on this site. Wasn't sure how things worked. I also have Dial-up for my internet so took awhile to get some things to go threw. thanks again for your time really appreciated it. Did get someone to buy me a thermometer today so can check on that. Think will go to Vet sometime next week. thanks again jeanette woodard

Jeanette, I'm happy I could help -- best wishes to both of you :)