Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

hello DR. I have a question and it is a serious one no kidding.

Customer Question

hello DR. I have a question and it is a serious one no kidding. My dog 4lb.chihuahua is having hot flashes. She was fixed almost 5 yrs ago. she is about 5 years old. Is there anything I can do for her? thank you jeanette
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

What exactly are you observing that makes you think "hot flashes" are occurring?

Customer:

Hello the dogs head and ears get really hot every so often and she comes out from under her covers all night and day long

Dr. Drew :

It would be useful to be able to know if her body temperature is truly elevated, as in a fever, when these episodes are occurring.

Dr. Drew :

dogs do not develop hormonal fluctuations that would cause the sensation of being overheated, whether spayed or not,

Dr. Drew :

so there would need to be some other explanation.

Dr. Drew :

some tick-borne illnesses can cause variable or intermittent fevers,

Dr. Drew :

or she may just be getting warm from being under the covers for too long.

Customer:

she takes the med for heartworm and lyme shots

Dr. Drew :

that's great, but there's other tick-borne illnesses that exist besides Lyme Disease.

Customer:

ask vet about her head a few times and was never a fever she checked each time

Customer:

Oh ok so she needs to be checked for a tick disease shes stays inside almost all time except to potty

Dr. Drew :

well, it's something worth checking -- she may turn up negative, but it's worth ruling out...

Dr. Drew :

I've seen mostly-indoor dogs come up with tick-borne illnesses, so it's justifiable to check for.

Dr. Drew :

in all honesty,

Customer:

ok thanks for your time appreciate it thanks jeanette

Dr. Drew :

if she is eating and drinking fine, and is active and playful, there's probably nothing wrong.

Dr. Drew :

you are very welcome. I wish you both all the best,.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Drew,

I checked back and viewed our conversation was very satisfied and excellent service. First time on this site. Wasn't sure how things worked. I also have Dial-up for my internet so took awhile to get some things to go threw. thanks again for your time really appreciated it. Did get someone to buy me a thermometer today so can check on that. Think will go to Vet sometime next week. thanks again jeanette woodard

Jeanette, I'm happy I could help -- best wishes to both of you :)