Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is not eating or drinking and is extremely lethargic

My dog is not eating or drinking and is extremely lethargic.

There was blood in her stool today & it was also diarrhea.

She had only dry food and chicken to eat yesterday.

She also had frozen uncooked ribs to chew on.

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Any vomiting?
2- Did she swallow the rib bone?
3- Does she normally have bones?
4- How much does she weigh?
5- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
6- Can you take her rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1 - No

2 - Well she chews them to bits, so I guess yes is the answer... I bought them from a pet shop.

3 - She is only young so yes she has had them before without issue. I worry that they defrost and the meat on the bones could go off after 12- 20 hours? I was told that uncooked bones were not an issue.

4 - 5kg

5 - Deep pink

6 - 38.2

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Her temperature is normal, thank you.

Uncooked or cooked bones can be a problem by leading to obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. The symptoms you are seeing could be related to the bone or a completely separate problem like ingestion of a foreign body, infections, intestinal parasites, etc. In this case, the best option is having family veterinarian take a quick xray to rule out the bone being obstructed. You see, this is important to rule out because if the bone is obstructed it can lead to perforation of the bowel (intestines) with fatal consequences. If you do not have access to a veterinarian at the moment this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/8th of a tablet every 12 hours for the next 3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with family veterinarian.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thank you for your advice!

So as her temperature is normal, no need to worry just yet? I will see how she is in the morning and follow your advice.

Thanks so much :-)

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Her temperature being normal is a good sign. But, if she does not pep up after doing the above strongly recommend having her checked by family vet for xrays.

You're welcome.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.