Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My husky started lifting her right rear leg a week ago when

My husky started lifting her right rear leg a week ago when we were out walking and would limp for a little while then put it down, over the course of a couple of days she would limp more and then started raising the left rear leg and limping. I brought her to a Veterinary Hospital on Sunday and then said it could be a minor ACL tear or because she has been diagnosed positive for lyme, a lyme inflamation. They put her on 200mg of minocycline twice a day and .75 mg of tramadol twice a day. Over the course of this week it has become more difficult for her to go down stairs. She is at the point that she doesn't want to do the stairs. She doesn't seem to have a problem going up them. We have been keeping her inside this week and only letting her out to releave herself. What could be the problem?  She also threw up her breaksfast sometime yesterday morning.

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G. :

I am sorry to hear Kaya is not doing well.

Dr. G. :

Has she been strictly rested (no running, jumping, stairs, or off leash time) since she saw the vet?

Customer:

Yes, the Vet said to keep her quite so she is inside by herself most of the day until I get home from work to let her out to relieve herself.

Dr. G. :

I see. Typically with any type of potential muscle or soft tissue injury they will need about a week of strict rest (no stairs, jumping, running, time off leash, etc) to help feel better. If this is indeed an ACL tear, it is going to need surgical repair for the leg to go back to normal. Lyme related problems with lameness typically improve within 24 hours of treatment, so it is likely this is more related to an ACL tear. Did your vet take any x-rays of the knee?

Customer:

No, she examined her physically and said there was minor inflammation and the right knee clicked when she moved it. She also said if it was an ACL tear Kaya

wouldn't be able to walk on it at all. She did blood work to determine if the Lyme was still positive, and the results were positive. She did a urine test to check her

protein level and there was some level of protein concentration. She said if she got worse to bring her back and have a Vet surgeon check her out, they would then do an Xray. Kaya doesn't yelp like she is in pain. I was wonder can dogs get guillain barre syndrome? I had GBS 17 years ago and the weakness started in my legs and the next thing was difficulty doing stairs.

Dr. G. :

She may just need a little bit more time with the medications. Some dogs will still walk on the leg even with a full tear, however most will keep all weight off. Most dogs in the northeast are lyme positive, so whether or not that is causing the signs is hard to say, but if there is protein in the urine, the signs could all be due to lyme. If the lyme disease is affecting multiple joints, it could definitely make a partial ACL tear appear worse than one would expect or cause the signs to take longer to resolve. GBS in dogs is very acute and signs are generally much worse as it progresses very quickly and she would not be able to walk if that was the case. If you think Kaya hasn't gotten better by tomorrow, I would take her in to the vet to have a recheck to make sure nothing else is going on

Customer:

Could the medication upset her stomach? We feed her before she gets it and then either wrap the pills in cheese or peanut butter to give them to her. I was wondering

Dr. G. :

Yes. The minocycline can often cause an upset stomach. Cheese and peanut butter can also cause an upset stomach. Can you pill her by just putting the pill in the back of her throat?

Customer:

why she threw up yesterday. She usually takes medication without hesitation, but for some reason has figured out these are not food and has start to refuse the food.

Dr. G. :

you can feed her some canned food and open the capsule into the food

Customer:

Could be a challenge to get it down her throat without food.

Customer:

That's a good suggestion, we can try the canned food. Thanks.

Dr. G. :

you're welcome. Hopefully Kaya will be feeling better soon. Is there anything else I can help you with or clarify?

Customer:

I was told cooked sliced potatoes/sweet potatoes/turnups mixed together helps dogs with upset stomach, would you recommend that?

Dr. G. :

I usually recommend plain boiled white rice and chicken breast. I would probably avoid turnups and sweet potatoes for an upset stomach, however plain potatoes instead of rice should be ok

Customer:

Ok thanks. Have a good day.

Dr. G. :

you're welcome. I wish you the best with Kaya. Have a great day!

Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kaya. How is everything going?

Dr. G.