Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
53976849

My 4 year old Yorkie, Chinese crested mix wont eat her food

Customer Question

My 4 year old Yorkie, Chinese crested mix won't eat her food and has been having terrible, smelly gas. She will eat her dog treats in haste, but doesn't seem to even want those. She will smell her food and then walk away. She's drinking water, playing and seems ok. If I spoon feed her, she takes two bites of chicken and rice and then walks away. I've been giving her 1/2 Pepcid before she eats 2x a day for the past 3 days. No improvement.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Bella is not feeling well

Dr. Altman :

Is she having any loose stools? Any signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass, gurgling stomach) or vomiting?

Customer:

hi Dr. Altman. No loose stools. She constantly licks her licks, but no extra salivation or eating grass. Just lots of gas

Dr. Altman :

OK, is she lethargic as well?

Customer:

Stool is soft, but she always has softer stool. nothing unusual.

Customer:

No, she's running around, jumping. Seems ok. Just sleepy...which is normal.

Dr. Altman :

The increased stinky gas does tend to be associated with clostridial gi infections. The clostridium eats any digestive matter and produces that smelly gas as a by-product

Dr. Altman :

Has she had a recent veterinary exam? Would your clinic run a fecal analysis without an exam?

Customer:

She's had colitis in the past. She has a history of GI issues. Pancreatitis test always comes up neg.

Customer:

She did have vienna sausages last week :-(

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately pork in general can cause this type of condition

Customer:

last vet visit was in July.

Dr. Altman :

So it might be worthwhile to see if they will, especially with a chronic history

Customer:

Is Clostridium a bacterial infection?

Dr. Altman :

I know I commonly will do fecals in these situations and treat if I have seen them recently and this is a chronic situation

Dr. Altman :

Clostridium is a normal bacteria of the gi tract that increases with stress (physical like the sausage ingestion or emotional like moving or boarding) and can cause bloody and mucus stools over time

Customer:

She had a bloody stool back in the summer and the doc gave her a syringe that cleared her up. she kept eating during that time though.

Customer:

i normally don't give her anything but rice and chicken with veggies. this was a special good girl treat.

Dr. Altman :

Each infection can reflect differently in each pet and/ or each reinfection

Dr. Altman :

No more of those! Especially with her history...

Customer:

she eats good foot, healthy food.

Customer:

Oh no more of those. I'll take her to the vet

Dr. Altman :

Anything pork should be avoided

Customer:

Ok, thanks.

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome. How else can I assist you today?

Customer:

That's it. Thank you.

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Dr. Altman :

Good luck to you both, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance!

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 12 months ago.
Hi Sharron,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Hi Dr. Altman. I took Bella to the vet and all her tests came back negative. He thought she had pancreatitis and he wanted to keep her for 3 days and give her a sonogram. I told him to wait on the sonogram until her results came back. So he gave her IV fluids and she came home with meds to coat her tummy. She ate 2 1/2 bowls of boiled chicken last night and did a #2 this morning. She didn't eat breakfast but I was still happy with her because she ate a lot last night and will prob eat tonight. She's on a medicine for her tummy and the doctor still wants her to come in if she isn't better in a few days. She's looking bright eyed and full of energy. he thinks she has irritable bowel disease. I'm still not clear on what that is, but he's pressing me for that sonogram. I've been researching what to feed her for that and what things to remove from her diet. I can't afford another $350 bill right now. I have more questions, but I will have to pay you for the answer I'm sure. Thanks for checking back!

Glad everything came back negative and she was able to come home last night. Has she eaten this evening?

Inflammatory bowel disease is essentially the body treating the gi tract as foreign and attacking the integrity of the gi tract. Below is a link to this diagnosis:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/inflammatory-bowel-disease-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I can definitely understand if she is doing well that you are hesitant in doing the ultrasound. I also understand his desire to do the ultrasound to prevent recurrence of her illness and the downward trend but realistically most people cannot afford to do the ultrasound unless absolutely necessary. I would consider seeing how she does over the weekend and if she is stable putting it off but if she is up / down with her appetite and starts to decline it is something I would advise considering.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!