Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

can i give my 20 lb dog benadryl for allergy and aspirin for

can i give my 20 lb dog benadryl for allergy and aspirin for pain at the same time. if so how much of each? he made sharp jerking movements while getting his nails clipped today and jumped down from a place that was too high for him before we could stop him.  we noticed when we got him home he was moving slow and taking careful steps with an arch in his back.  we plan to take him to the vet tomorrow but he seems to be in pain and we want to help him.  There is no emergency care options on this island that we feel safe with. he had benadryl for an allergy

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 months ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. If your boy is older than 12, then I really would advise you against giving any aspirin, as this can further affect the kidneys or liver - particularly if there is already a degree of underlying kidney and/or liver disease. For this reason, please don't give any aspirin to Brutus this morning. If he seems to be in pain, then I would advise taking him along to your regular Vet first thing this morning when they open. A opioid based pain relief may be a better option, or if a nonsteroidal anti inflammatory drug is needed, then your Vet can carry out a quick blood test to check Brutus' kidney and liver function.

The benadryl on the other hand should be fine. The typical dose for this is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily - this would be 20mg for your boy (given he is 20lb). You can read more about the use of Benadryl in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/diphenhydramine-benadryl/page1.aspx

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He had a kidney function test 7 months ago and is in excellent health. There are no emergency options here on island that we can use without compromising his health. It is 15 hours until his vet is open we wanted to know if Motrin is an option because this is too much to watch. He is in pain but he is not moaning or anything like that he just won't move. This is a very active dog so seeing him out of character is a bit unsettling. What can we do to make him comfortable until in the morning. It is October 22, @ 550 pm we are a bit ahead of the states.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 months ago.
Hi Gwendolyn,

Definitely DONT give Motrin. This is mostly contraindicated in dogs and definitely so in older dogs. Buffered aspirin would be a safer option, but I still wouldn't recommend it in and older dog who hasn't had routine bloodwork within the last 6 months. You can read more about the use of aspirin in dogs online - including a dosage here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx - but again, I wouldn't recommend it.

There aren't really any other safe 'at home' options I'm afraid, so if you can make a visit to an emergency Vet work - that really would be the best bet. Keep him warm and on soft bedding for now, and try and encourage him to drink if you can. You definitely don't want him becoming dehydrated. If you can convince him to eat a little, that would be good too, but he probably isn't interested.

So - as above, the aspirin is up to you. Ultimately you can give benadryl and aspirin together without any interactions.

Do try and arrange an emergency appointment somehow if you can. It sounds like your boy needs a proper opioid based pain relief.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 months ago.
Hi Gwendolyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Brutus. How is everything going?

Pet Doc