knstrand
knstrand, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian
71139618

Hello. We have a pure bread Great Dane (2) years old and

Hello.

We have a pure bread Great Dane (2) years old and a pure bred Boston Terrier (2.5) years old. Dane weighs approx. 150 lbs. Terrier weighs approx. 15 pounds. We have a small flea problem. We try to use as few chemicals as possible as my (3.5) year old son and I are sensitive to chemicals and have reactions and we, in general, try to minimize exposure to chemicals/pesticides. Therefore, we have used diatomaceous earth to control the problem from getting out of hand in the house and it is doing a good job but it is not doing enough to completely stop the fleas on the dogs. The Terrier, in particular, seems particularly bothered with itching. We are looking at using Advantage 2. We have a few questions:

1) In your opinion and based on your professional empirical observations, do the benefits of stopping itching, hair loss, biting, disease, infestation, etc. outweigh the risks associated with its use? (death, anaphylaxis, seizures, etc.)

2) I have (3) Large Dog (21-55 lb.) tubes of Advantage 2 left over from (2) years ago when we treated the Dane when he was a puppy (before I was aware of any deleterious effects associated with this drug). Can we still use those unopened tubes safely (I do not see an expiration date) or should we buy a new supply? How do we do dose?- 3/4 tube on Terrier and 2 1/4 tubes on Dane? Or via another method of distribution? Please advise.

3) Should I be greatly concerned over the use of this drug?

Thank you for your informed response.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  knstrand replied 1 year ago.

knstrand :

Hello, my name isXXXXX I can help answer your question about Max and Little Dog.

knstrand :

Sorry about the flea trouble, this can be frustrating .... and I definitely empathize with not wanting to use chemicals.

Customer:

Hello.

knstrand :

However most of the flea/tick products are safe for pets and people

knstrand :

Obviously we will want to avoid your son touching the greasy spot left by the product which lingers for 2-3 days

knstrand :

Sometimes we also have to treat secondary skin infections and stop the itch with a mild anti-histamine/steroid to break the cycle. Along with flea control

knstrand :

If I had to choose the safest topical flea/tick product on the market this would be Frontline

knstrand :

The pesticide used in this product Fipronil, is mild and commonly used in agriculture. The second ingredient S-methoprene is an insect hormone that affects only insects

Customer:

You are recommending Frontline instead?

knstrand :

For someone who is cautious about flea/tick products - I would use Frontline over Advantix. However, if there are visible fleas on the dogs, advantix will be a faster kill.

knstrand :

Yes I would recommend frontline.

knstrand :

The other nice thing about Frontline is that it spreads over the body through the natural oils in the skin (as do most of the products) and reapplies itself through the subaceous glands, making it a bit more water proof than the other products

Customer:

FRontline Plus Topical is your suggestion?

knstrand :

If you want to use up your Advantage, that's understandable seeing as these products are expensive ..... yes 2 1/4 tube for the Dane and 3/4 tube for the Boston terrier would be appropriate.

knstrand :

Yes, Frontline Plus .... I feel that long term it's a more mild product

knstrand :

But it wouldn't hurt to use up your advantage now, and invest in frontline to follow up with on a monthly basis.

Customer:

So it would be OK to start with the Asvantage 2 that we have? And you do agree with the dosing amounts?

knstrand :

As much as we want to stay away from pesticides .... fleas carry diseases as well.

knstrand :

Yes I agree with the doses you have laid out

Customer:

Just to ask...have you seen any serious issues from these 2 products in your own practice or do you deem them as acceptably safe? (i.e. you would use them on your own dogs).

knstrand :

The itching may continue to be a problem, as one flea bite can continue the itchiness for up to three months.

knstrand :

If this is a problem, you can give benadryl (diphenhydramine) over the counter - at 1 mg/lb for each dog 2-3 times daily. This will help with the itchiness.

knstrand :

Main adverse reactions I see to advantage 2 is in cats, it's not labeled for use in cats and they will start to seizure if pyrethrins are applied.

knstrand :

Most dogs handle it just fine

Customer:

OK.

knstrand :

I would and do apply frontline to my own dogs. I would apply advantage too if need be

Customer:

So I use the (3) tubes I have and then switch in (1) month to Frontline?

knstrand :

Hopefully this helps. Do you have any other questions.

knstrand :

Yes exactly

Customer:

OK. Last question...Do you have any experience using Vitamin C in dogs for itching? (it is a reasonably potent antihistimine)

knstrand :

Probably wont cut it for flea reaction pruritus (itchiness)

knstrand :

Sometimes even the benadryl isn't enough and we have to use prescription level steroids/antihistamines short term to break the cycle of itching

Customer:

OK. Thank you for your help. Here is an interesting study on Vitamin C but I understand that it may not be enough:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1578094

Well,I guess we'll give the Advantage and Vitamin C a go keeping Benadryl on the back burner. Thanks so much for your assistance.

knstrand :

You are very welcome and thanks for the info on the study. I'm always open to new possibilities.

Customer:

The study was in humans, but it seems plausible to extrapolate to dogs. Of course, humans don't make their own Vitamin C endogenously like dogs do so it might be a bit different.

Customer:

I'll let you know in a month how we are doing. I'll rate you EXCELLENT now. Thanks!

knstrand :

Yes I would imagine so. You are very welcome. Have a great night

knstrand, Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian