Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

my dog has a sore on her right side will not stop liking it

my dog has a sore on her right side will not stop liking it i put some itch med from the store and covered it but she pulles it off and it start to ooz what can i do to stop it so i can get it to heal
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- How old is Ginger?
3- How much does she weigh?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

14 y 1m 45lb no med con

Juanita, it sounds like Ginger has what we call an "acral lick granuloma." This is an area of irritation made worst by excessive licking. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking or it is not going to get better. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area, leave ecollar on until completely healed.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply topical hydrocortisone cream, you can buy this over the counter in any pharmacy. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 10-14 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above, follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter