Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
May I ask how long ago he ingested this pill?
A normal dog dose is approximately 0.5 mg/kg/day and Petey ingested 1 mg/kg today. It is not a terribly high dose but if we are in the window of time to induce vomiting (within an hour) then it might be a good idea to do so...
We induced vomiting with salt within a half hour of ingestion and he vomited.
I think he ate about 5 or 6 mg capsules - from what he threw up. i think he is ok
OK so he brought up most or what he ingested then?
I would definitely still be monitoring for signs of increased lethargy this evening as a precaution
I should say he ate about 5 or 6 5mg capsules.
The lethargy would be from the ingestion causing a lower blood pressure
Ah, ok so up to 30 mg but hopefully vomited up most and if any is metabolized it will be less than 10 mg or two capsules total...
As a precaution I would monitor for the signs of lethargy this evening into the morning
If you do alright by morning you should be alright
Does this make sense?
Thanks for your help Dr. Altman.... we are getting ready to go to bed... I guess he will sleep really well :-) ? We won't be able to monitor lethargy if we're all sleeping!
Yes, this makes sense. Thank you!
LOL yes he should sleep well :)
Great, have a restful evening!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Thanks so much.
You are very welcome!