Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I feed my dog ground turkey, rice & vegetables that I make

I feed my dog ground turkey, rice & vegetables that I make at home. She wasn't eating her own food and seemed to like this. However, now she's not eating very much and she seems to be out of sync with her bowel movements. When this has happened before, I took her off her food for 24hrs and then back again with the turkey and rice. This is what I've been doing as she's been having these accidents somewhat frequently in the past couple of weeks. Should I take her to see her vet?
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

When you say she is having accidents are you still talking about stool accidents or urine accidents?

If urine or stool are you noticing blood in the accidents?

Does withholding the food change anything even for a short period of time?

Finally is Mishka straining when she's having accidents?

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Stool accidents

I don't see blood although the color is not normal. Not black, but a kind of reddish color. But there are carrots in her food.

In the past, withholding food has worked, but she seems to be so messed up these past few days, that she goes right back into problems. In the past week this has been an every 2 day or so problem.

She does seem to be straining. The stool is very soft, borderline diarheea. After the initial there is usually a couple of small spots that are very loose/wet and sometimes little or no color.

Thanks for the information. I think likely that you do have a mild infection called SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). This can happen for dozens of reasons and often is the cause for diarrhea not to resolve. You can try one more thing in the meantime. You can give a teaspoon of kaopectate (not pepto) twice a day for one more day. If this doesn't end the diarrhea, then yes she needs to be examined and likely a short course of antibiotics like metronidazole is in her future.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm going out of town on Thursday and will be gone until Monday. With your suggestion of what might be happening, I think that I should probably get her into to see her vet ASAP, would you agree?

Thank you.

Dianne

I would agree if you had plenty of time, you could try the Kaopectate, however we should get her to the vet tomorrow to make sure the treatment is on the right track before you leave town.

Dr. Dan
Hi Dianne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mishka. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did take her to the vet and she had a colon infection.

Thank you for your help and yes I did give a rating.