Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
53976849

I just adopted a 2year old mixed breed from a foster home.

I just adopted a 2year old mixed breed from a foster home. The dog is sweet and calm and was underweight when the foster parent took him in 2 weeks ago. He has gained 4 lbs in 2 weeks however he is not motivated by food. He has been examined by a vet and healthy. I have purchased the dry food he is accustomed to however how can I maintain the weight gain, he needs another 5-7 lbs. Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

First, congratulations on your new addition!

Dr. Altman :

Can you please tell me what diet he is on (the brand and specific variety) and what his ideal weight would be?

Customer: Taste of the Wild High Prairie Canine formulawith bison and roasted venison. Ideal weight approx. 50 lbs
Dr. Altman :

OK please bear with me while I calculate his kcal/day and the kcal/ cup of the diet...

Dr. Altman :

Total kcal/day should be about 750 kcal/day maintenance. The diet is 370 kcal/cup so if you feed 2 cups daily and then supplement with a meat within the meals (for example, ground bison meat cooked) to add additional calories you should reach his ideal weight readily

Dr. Altman :

Also adding in the yogurt and egg. I am not sure the almond butter is ideal but using a low salt chicken broth is fine as well

Dr. Altman :

Once you reach his ideal weight then you can taper on the other ingredients to ensure he doesn't gain too much weight

Dr. Altman :

You can also add in fish oil 750 mg EPA & DHA daily which is a good fat that will help with calories, coat, joints, immune system as well

Dr. Altman :

Does this make sense? Please let me know if I can clarify anything regarding the information I have provided...

Dr. Altman :

Are you still with me

Dr. Altman :

I look forward to your response, I hope you are not having difficulties with the site...

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Dr. Altman :

Are you having difficulties with justanswer? If I have not had a response in the next few moments I am going to change formats to see if that helps you...

Customer: Is there a fish oil specifically for canine or can I give him the supplement I take?
Dr. Altman :

You can definitely use your supplement but the primary focus is the EPA & DHA concentration

Dr. Altman :

Some human supplements are low in this

Dr. Altman :

If you have the bottle I can help you calculate his dose...

Dr. Altman :

The EPA & DHA should be on the ingredients list per capsule

Dr. Altman :

You might need to start on a lower dose and titrate up, it can initially cause loose stool in some pets due to it being so rich

Customer: I have not received reply on fish oil. I understand the diet and steady weight gain and tapering to maintain.
Dr. Altman :

It appears you are having difficulties with viewing my replies

Dr. Altman :

Can you see what I am currently typing?

Dr. Altman :

You can give your supplement

Dr. Altman :

If you can get the bottle and list the EPA & DHA per capsule I can assist in his daily dose

Dr. Altman :

I am going to change formats, I apologize if justanswer is giving you diffiuclties

Dr. Altman :

If you are able to view any of my responses please refresh your page and I will change formats so everything is more readily available for you to see

Customer: DHA 220mg EPA 180mg
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Is this more readily available for you to read? I am trying to discover the supplement you are currently taking so I can assist with his dose...
Great! Thank you...so I would start with one cap daily and after a week increase to TWO working your way up weekly to a total dose of FOUR capsules/ day. Since he has had a lot of change recently I would start increasing slowly to reduce his risk of loose stools from the fish oil.

You can also research options of a more concentrated form to get him about 750 mg daily of the two ingredients.

Please let me know if this information makes sense and you are able to view my responses readily. I am here to help you both with this exciting new family you are extending!
Hi Ann,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Giani. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman