Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate approx 1/2 oz of Hoofers Choice nail and cuticle

My dog ate approx 1/2 oz of Hoofer's Choice nail and cuticle cream by European Secrets.
Could this harm him?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long since he ingested the cream?
2- Can you list the ingredients?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He ate the cream approx 1.5 hrs ago
It contains:glycerine,steric acid,soybean oil,cityline alcohol,beeswax,
Lanolin,polysorbate 2c,hydrogenated palm glycerides and palm kernel
Glycerides,trietanolamine,aloe barbadensis leaf juice,hydrolyzed wheat
Protein,allantoin,menthol,dimethicone,lavender oil,rosemary leaf oil,
Castor seed oil,dis odium EDTA,phenoxyethanol,methylbaraben,
Ethylparaben,propylparaben,buyylparaben,isobutylparaben,yellow5
Thank you Penny.

In response to your question this is not going to be systemically toxic Penny but it can be irritating to the gastrointestinal tract, otherwise he will be fine. This is what you can do:
1- Do Not induce vomiting, rinse his mouth with plain water.
2- Give him 1/2 cup of milk to dilute the cream and protect his intestinal tract.
3- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for 3-5 days. You can find pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy.
4- If he becomes lethargic, anorexic, vomiting, behaving restless or uncomfortable have him checked by family veterinarian. If no symptoms develop in 1-2 days, unlikely for any symptoms to develop.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter