Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

my dog ate 18-19 875 mg tablets of amoxicillin...he weighs

my dog ate 18-19 875 mg tablets of amoxicillin...he weighs 55lbs....what should we do
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he the tablets?
2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes we have hydorgen peroxide, and approximately 45 min-1 hr

Kristina doses of Amoxicillin above 100mg/kg can cause renal (kidney problems) toxicity/failure. In this case based on your dog's weight he ingested a dose +/-665mg/kg, this is a very large dose and a concern. I would recommend to move quickly and induce vomiting using peroxide. If he does not vomit or you do not see the pills in the vomit consider taking him to the nearest ER veterinarian for IV fluids to help his kidneys eliminate avoid any problems. This is what you can do:

1- Give him 1.5 (one and half) tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit or you do not see the tablets in the vomit follow up with ER veterinarian. To find the nearest ER vet in your area follow the link below:

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Hi Kristina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter